mirror, mirror...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FallenMatt

Reaction score
sporasub link

..the other day i walked into lds just to kill some time and walked out carrying two steel tanks and a new mask (one of those days...)

when i've got home i looked up the mask on the manufacturer's page:

"The moment the fish feels the hunter’s eyes fixes on him and escapes.
The hunter hides his eyes to avoid this reaction in the fish. Ideal for open-water spearfishing on sigh"

i am not a spearfisher, so sorry if the above description is 100% true. but it sounds to me equivalent to saying that hunters should wear mirrored sunglasses to keep deer from running away from them.

(i still like the mask, but just when i bought it i thought the function of the tinted lenses is more along the lines of making the colors look better under water or.. err.. make diver look "cool" :-D

...not mentioning the fact that the lense is really mirrored, not just tinted so if i ever get panicky under water my fellow divers will have very tough time to find that out by looking into my eyes...

FallenMatt:
<snip>

...not mentioning the fact that the lense is really mirrored, not just tinted so if i ever get panicky under water my fellow divers will have very tough time to find that out by looking into my eyes...

I'm sure it looks very cool but I don't think I'd like not being able to see my buddy's eyes.

R..

I agree with Diver0001. Eye contact during a dive is important. I recently purchased an Omer "Abyss" freediving mask. These masks are offered with "mirror" lenses or clear. I chose the clear. Maybe your mask is also offered in clear.....

matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom