full heel fins and boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
Question 'o the Day:
My wife and I do a lot of snorkeling. Before our last trip, we decided to get new fins. The local dive shop recommended a pair of good full foot scuba fins. We've used them once.

Now, the dive school where we're getting certified is practically requiring open heel fins and boots. Obviously I'd prefer to use the fins we've already purchased.

Has anyone used boots with full heel fins or what about neoprene socks instead of boots (for an easier fit)?

Thanks in advance.

The boots and open heel fins are superior with regards to protection. The bottom of the sea and its surroundings tend to be littered with nasty little, pointy things and well, just litter. Boots give better protection than just a neoprene sock. In addition, boots are also warmer.

Full foot fins are superior with regards to fit and power output. They are the preference of free divers.

While I prefer the boots and open heel fins I do know several divers including DM's that use full foot fins. I don't know what agency you are going through but I am not aware of any requiring open heel fins (If there are any I am sure other members of the board will correct me).

It sounds to me, from the limited information available, that they are just trying to sell you gear. I would make them explain why they are so adament about this gear choice.

Hope this helps

Chad

I use neoprene socks under my full-foot fins, which were bought for snorkelling, like yours. Much more comfortable with a layer of neoprene between fin and skin. My socks came from Divers Direct (look under fins).

On caveat: I'm a boat diver. If I had to walk into the water from the shore, I'd want boots instead.

Zept

I dove strictly full-foot fins for years. Loved 'em. But... for cold water, or where you need to negotiate wading over rock, those boots sure are nice.
In specific answer to your question, you might ask why you're being urged to change. If they say "cold water" or "rough bottom" then they're legit. We urge our new divers to get open heel fins from the beginning for those reasons - our qual dives are in 68 degree water, which isn't exactly freezing, but does get a bit uncomfortable after awhile without booties. The decks of the crew boats we use for gulf dives get uncomfortably hot for bare feet, too, so booties are wise there as well.
But if you're diving in reasonably warm water off boats or where you can safely enter barefoot, then full foot fins are just fine.
Rick

Rick-

Thanks for the reply. Cold water is exactly why they request boots and open backed fins. My thoughts are, we dive almost exclusively in the Caribbean and second, for warmth, neoprene socks would seemingly serve the same purpose as boots and be less cumbersome.

hey scott
I have to agree with zept them socks where a great addition to my gear I have had a problem with my feet being cold as far as the open heel fins, boots will help you in the long run with the walks on the beach parking lots ect. you wont go wrong...john

..and I love them. They are great for boat diving. Diving at lake Travis last Halloween my wife used the neoprene socks. They help for walking down to the water and into the water, and with the cold. They won't help so much if you have to walk on sharp rocks or broken glass. I don't use them. I just bite the bullet and walk over rocks barefoot and it ain't so bad..maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. If you need, you can wear a pair of old flip flops and leave them at the water's edge. That leaves you to negotiate only the few feet from the water's edge to about waist depth. Once you get to about waist deep, you can crouch in the water and let your buoyancy support your weight.

As far as cold is concerned, at least with me, there are parts of my body that suffer from the cold long before my feet. Not too long ago I dove with TexasMike at Clear Springs in 60 degree water with my full foot fins. I know some of y'all dive in water much colder, but my body was first to suffer from the cold, not my feet. After about 45 minutes under, I started to get pretty cold in my arms and chest area, but my feet weren't really a problem. A hood will do alot more for keeping you warm than booties will. It just depends on how well you fare in the cold, I guess.

I love my full foot fins. For boat diving and warm water diving. you can't beat'em. For me, they seem to hug my foot better than open heel fins giving me a more efficient kick, although I haven't tried splits or other "state of the art" designs.

Hmmmm Great Lakes Diving....

Rocks - sharp
Clam shells - very sharp
Zebra Mussels - very very sharp
water - cold
deeper water - very cold
quarry in December - very very cold

Next piece of gear - dry suit....

Mark me up for booties and open heel fins :hehe:

Scott, I'm puzzled by your questions. Are you planning on trading in your fins for a larger size? Why did you tell us you had used them only once? How did you get a good fit with your present fins? Barefoot? Are you going to try wearing your original set of fins with booties?

Whatever size foot fin you decide on, you must wear them with booties(what you call socks). If you are diving in the Carolinas or points south, you might prefer to get a pair of 1/8" booties. This means that the fins you choose must be a loose fit over bare feet, no more. Better, try them with booties on. The booties themselves must fit very snug to tight. There must be no slack to allow bunching of the material and cause blisters. Also, if the bootie is not a perfect fit, it will come off and fall away when you attempt to remove your fins to allow climbing the boat ladder. Just make sure they fit tight and conform. However, the fit of the fin over the bootie must only be snug, NOT TIGHT. Put the fin on and wiggle the foot, the fin must not wobble but also not feel too tight.

If you can work this out, you will have one of the most comfortable and efficient setups available. You will be able to swim on day after day. Without the fin strap, there will be two less failure points(strap and buckle). On and off is less "technical" and probably faster.

The best source for booties would be one of the spearfishing companies like Bluewater Hunters. However, I strongly recommend that the booties be correctly fitted even if that means trying to convince a LDS as to what you require. If you happen to go on a trip to someplace like Hawaii, getting fitted would be no problem. They know about this kind of stuff. However, times change and there are more people stateside who can help with these things.

http://www.blueh20.com/

You might prefer to phone these people and explain that you need some soft sole "shooter booties". They will be glad to hear from you.

Your name is Beach? Cool.

Back
Top Bottom