Cleaning Silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedlom

Reaction score
I have a Tusa x-pert mask about 10 years old, it has the crystal clear silicone. It is in great shape, but has turned a yellow ish color. Is it just showing its age, or can this be cleaned safely? Any help would be great.

There is no way to whiten silicone rubber which has yellowed. They say that newer silicone formulations do not yellow as readily.

Hey - I've got the same mask of the same vintage... and it's gone the same colour...

It's a great big thing though - I often think that it's goto hold a good breath of air if I ever run out. :)

On my third mask strap though.

Just accept it's a big ugly yellow thing on your face - it must give you some credibility for being an old git :D (like me)

Mike

Sounds about like the clear snorkle I got for OW class. I don't use it much anymore except on beach and/or boat dives if the captain wants everyone to wear one.

Sort of a camoflage mottled yellow and brownish with clearish spots mess now. I like it and have NO fear of anyone sticking it in their gear bag by accident.

I used to use a clear silicone mask. Whenever the silicone would start to get too foggy looking for me I would clean it with silicone spray. I did this by spraying some on the silicone and rubbing it in with my fingers. This would clear it back up again. My mask never did get that yellowish color. However I am not sure if this is the reason. You may give it a try. I'd be interested if it works.

retnug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom