"Frameless" Masks --- Field of Vision???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at frameless masks due to the claimed better field of vision. I understand the idea; eyes closer to lense = wider viewing angle. I am wondering about the opinions of real world users. What do you think?

Also, has anyone used the masks with the led's on the frame?

I use the SP Framless and won't go back to anything else. There are cheap knockoffs, but I was not happy with them. One even smelled like someone was smoking when it was brand new and had fogging problems. Never could get it to stop fogging up. This mask fits my face perfectly.

RDP:
I am looking at frameless masks due to the claimed better field of vision. I understand the idea; eyes closer to lense = wider viewing angle. I am wondering about the opinions of real world users. What do you think?

RDP:

I have the SP frameless (second mask purchase), and love it. Low-volume, sleak, good range of vision. I don't have much use for the little side windows you see on other masks, as my prescription's pretty strong, so those were just a big blur anyway. Some like the light coming in through the sides, but personally I don't mind at all having a black skirt around the outside & just a clear pane directly in front of the eyes. I suggest you try one out & see how you like it....

Jim

Dan Gibson:
I use the SP Framless and won't go back to anything else. There are cheap knockoffs, but I was not happy with them. One even smelled like someone was smoking when it was brand new and had fogging problems. Never could get it to stop fogging up. This mask fits my face perfectly.

Perhaps was it a oceanic mini-shadow? I have one and it smelled like old armpit for the longest time. Still fogs easy.

No, I think it was something like Sea Dive or some other brand name like that. It took over a year in the pool to get rid of the smell. The skirt is not quite as nice as my SP Framless. It has become a little stiffer over time and leaks more easily.

No Fish:
Perhaps was it a oceanic mini-shadow? I have one and it smelled like old armpit for the longest time. Still fogs easy.

When you guys refer to the "SP" mask, are you refering to the Scuba Pro? :06:

I just purchased a Cressi Big Eyes mask, very nice field of view, I can actually see my BC , also like the low volume aspect also.

Mike

I just got a X-Vision, it's not really frameless but the lenses are angled so you can't tell it's got a frame. You can see everything!! It's like your not even wearing a mask!

And it's cheap too: I got it for $69

I love super low vloume masks that are frameless. They let me get closer to my camera housing to see through the veiwfinder better.

One quick exhale through the nose and the Scubapro frameless mask clears completetly. I find there is no pressure on the nose with this mask as well .
V.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom