HydroOptix mask....are they worth it? Do they work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchy07

Reaction score
Just looking for a little info on the HydroOptix Mega mask. Worth it? Work?

Get along well with my contacts (20 years now) and looking at options and opinons. Not looking at lasik, at least not now.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I am fortunate/unfortunate enough that my eyes are bad enough, uncorrected, that with the mask my vision is near perfect underwater. I have only tried them in a pool and was amazed on my field of vision.

I have heard that if it doesn't fit your face, there really are no options...so you get leaks. They may be addressing that. The biggest drawback to me is that once I am out of the water (say on the surface) I revert back to being blind as a bat. They supply a monocle or something like that, but thats not something I want to have to rely on should I be having to so something important on the surface.

frenchy07:
Just looking for a little info on the HydroOptix Mega mask. Worth it? Work? Get along well with my contacts (20 years now) and looking at options and opinons. Not looking at lasik, at least not now.
Brian, Hi. I'm also a contact lens wearer (thirty years, on and off). I investigated lasic this year but didn't go for it as I don't want to lose my closeup vision. At -3.5, I'm moderately nearsighted.

I bought the HyroOptix mask recently and I really like it. It gives me a terrific view, and everything's in sharp focus underwater. I even like the fact that, swimming on the surface, my vision is uncorrected--it lends some softness to the noise and bustle of topside after a quiet dive. I find the fit good, especially the high nose pocket, which works well with my mustache.

I've used the mask on every dive since I got it (ten dives, I think, all in cold water) and I'm happy with it. As to whether it was worth the cost: yes. I was pleased to be dealing with the owner and his daughter when ordering mine (no dealers in my area, so they sold to me direct). They overnighted it to me.

I can't say that I won't eventually start switching back and forth between my old mask + contact lenses and this new one. That would be especially likely after I get my divecon (SSI dive master / assistant instructor) rating--that will mean being active with students and divers on top of the water as well as under, so I would want to be diving with my contacts in.

It's hard to know without trying it, but it does really bring everything into focus. And oddly enough, none of the other divers who has seen me wear it has asked about it, so I guess it's not as odd-looking as I'd heard.

Any plans yet?

Bryan

eponym:
It's hard to know without trying it, but it does really bring everything into focus. And oddly enough, none of the other divers who has seen me wear it has asked about it, so I guess it's not as odd-looking as I'd heard.

Any plans yet?

Bryan

I tried it and loved it... look at my love note at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t59191-.html

I think a lot of divers are curious, but are somewhat reluctant to ask... this seems to be the case with many gear items. I quite often encourage others to try it on a surface interval, just splashing about. I know this has caused four more to be purchased!

I also posted a few times in that thread - I still love mine. :) I've definitely got the fog problem kicked, but I still have a little bit of leakage. Unfortunately, seawater + SeaGold defog +eyes = OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! So I'm trying to make the switch to non-stinging baby shampoo.

I still wear my old mask for beach dives (don't want my baby to get all beat up in the surf!) and I find myself really missing the HydroOptix. All in all, it's DEFINITELY worth it.

I really tried to love the three that I own. I even got some -2.0 contacts to bring my normal -6.5 eyes to the optimum -4.5.
The construciton of these masks is amazing, but the pooling while looking straight down and the lack of vision on the surface, especially trying to pick out the boat you were on was just too much aggravation. Surfacing at night was particularly not fun. It was nice to be able to read my gauges easily though. Now I just use regular contacts and the Sea Vision with the -2.0 readers ground in. I need another DEMA show so I can get some more of these cheap.

The pooling is starting to bother me - no problem when looking in front (ie, wall dives), but looking around on the sand for stuff is impossible. I'm convinced I'll figure out how to stop the leakage one of these days, though, so I'll keep trying.

I only find the blurry surface vision annoying for beach dives, when there's often a long surface swim. For those, I stick with my old flat mastk - also to avoid beating the HO up in the surf. :)

I'm hoping the HO masks will evolve to the point where they're better fitting and less likely to leak - in the meantime, I still really like how well I can see everything underwater, so I still think it's worth the pain of the pooling/fogging/blurry surface vision.

I tried it; loved it; great field of view, perfect vision; I am a -5, so vision was just incredible underwater, and fine on the surface, but ...

I got such a bad mask squeeze at around 25' that I couldn't clear, that I had to surface, and go back back my regular mask. I havn't tried again.

hiya... i got mine at ADEX last year and only got to use it abt a dozen times or so. It's got a great view and everything looks much sharper and clearer. Prior to this, I had to use a mask with a -3.0 lens.

the problem for me is the leaks... just can't seem to secure it properly. this is especially a problem when diving currents and somehow, i get the feeling the mask gets out of place. maybe because of its large volume. that got rather irritating on my last dive trip to Similans. Opted to use my old mask for the last 3 dives of the trip. Not as clear and wide a view but no problem with leaks...

m trying to work out the straps to see if i can get it to fit better. anyone with a solution, do let me know!

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom