Freediving fins for Open Water Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okiecaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Dan Volker in Florida has often advocated using freediving fins for openwater, calling them the "poor man's scooter". I've a buddy who swears by them, too.

I have a chance to buy an open heel pair that can take spring straps so I'm anxious for testimonials and opinions.

Dive safe
Brock

Some folks like them for SCUBA, some don't. The long fins are not very maneuverable around reefs, they scrape and bump on things. They make turns more difficult. They are more difficult to board and enter, and pack. Be careful, there are vast differences in the flex and hence, power required with different models.

The free dive fins limit your choices when it comes to kick styles. They are made for traditional kicks and don't work well for modified flutter or frog which alot of divers use when cruising the reef.

I use freedive fins for scuba and love them. However, you do need to take D.V.'s advice with a very large grain of salt. Freedive fins are not for everyone and there is no dive industry conspiracy to keep divers from buying good (i.e. freedive) fins.

Be careful with the open heel fins. The ones I have used have foot pockets that are different from normal scuba fins. They were really made to fit on bare feet or feet in a sock, not over a boot. I did a little surgery on the fins so I could use them with my Rock Boots, but never really liked that pair (too stiff) and have switched to Atomic Aquatics split fins for use with my dry suit. My full-foot freedive fins are great and I use them for freediving and warm water scuba, but you have very limited choices of open heel fins.

Ralph

I've used Beuchat GoldFins (they don't make them any more but new ones are similar) for years, full foot for free diving, open heel for scuba. With any kick except possibly frog, they're the best. The only exception to this would be wreck penetration or cave, anytime you're dealing with silt. It takes a lot of practice to develope a kick with long fins that won't silt up. In my opinion, for what it's worth, the current "super fins" are like swimming with your sneakers on.

Tom

I have fins made by Cressi, they are the older Garras <sp?> about 3feet long, and full foot, I use them for everything and love them.
for scuba they can make you slightly less gracefull however you quickly adapt.
the main thing to worry about here is they can be serious leg crampers if you are not used to them, I have been using them so long I am trying to get stiffer and maybe longer blades but silly old Cressi has gone and discontinued the ones I have...
personaly I wouldent trade them for anything (except maybe gills!) and I work at a dive shop and get to try lots of stuff out, so far nothing comes close.

I love my Cressi Sub Rondine Garas!! I also love my Zeagle Raptors they are almost as long. I get to cover a lot of reef on the the same tank that I could only see a limited area. For more manuverability in tight places I use my Scubapro Gorillas. I usually take 3 sets of fins with me depending on the diving and change out fins for the next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom