Silicone Yellowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I have several masks going back many years and I have a question regarding the clear silicone types. Most of my black rubber, non silicone masks are still useable save for a few that have just gotten dry rot, oh well, nothing is forever I guess, but I also have several silicone masks and they have taken on a yellowish tint to various degrees. They still seem soft and pliable and fully functional save for the yellowing whcih really hurts nothing. Is this a normal aging process and is there any way to prevent it or even reverse it??
Oh, I just bought a new Mares X vision and yes it is a nice mask with low volume and excellent vision. N

Silicone will yellow if it's exposed to rubber, that includes neoprene. If you keep a silicone mask in a plastic bag or mask box it will prevent it. I don't know of any way to reverse it.

I actually believe the yellowing is a reaction to light, I assume UV rays. If you look at snorkels that have been displayed for a while in a shop, the silicone often looks yellow. AFAIK it will not be a problem. I've had masks and snorkels that were yellowed and did not have any problems diving with them. Also seen a lot of people use them with no problems.

I'm thinking that the yellowing might be caused by contact with sunscreens. I have clothing articles and other equipment stained by sunscreens. Many chemicals will yellow "plastic" and silicon products. Just ask pilots if they use certain chems on their lexan windows.

The cynical side of me wonders if it's something the manufacturers do with the silicone to give less knowledgeable divers an incentive to buy a new mask every five years. The yellowing is a bit unsightly but I don't believe it affects the functionality in the least. I still wear the same Sherwood mask I've used since I got certified, silicone yellowed and not quite as clear as it once was, and the most I can complain about is that I still haven't found a foolproof defog. :p

cheers

Billy S.

is generally attributable to the photochemical reaction that occurs when ultraviolet (UV) radiation reacts with fungicidal agents present in the silicone.

If you want to keep the silicone clear, store it in the dark and only use it at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom