Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad B

Reaction score
I am considering some artifact diving in a lake in Central Florida this winter(the gators are slower and less hungry) and would like some input on full face masks. This lake is NASTY and I do not want any water in my ears, nose or mouth. The wetsuit ought to cover all other points of entry. Depths will be 20' or less and I do not want to spend more than I have to.Anybody with full face mask experience got any input?

The only lake to fit that description in our area is Lake Apopka. :D None of the others are really polluted, and the amoeba count is way down during the winter. Dive right in dude! All of my students do! :D

How does one equalize when wearing a full-face mask.

BigJetDriver69:
All of the varieties have either a set of posts inside the oro-nasal cup, or pockets to allow your fingers to squeeze your nose.
He needs a chain suit if the Gators get the munchies. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
He needs a chain suit if the Gators get the munchies. :D

Gary D.

So that he won't get punctured, just crushed...

I did a commercial dive this summer locating a bunny bucket that one of the forest service pilots pickled off the helicopter by mistake.

The viz was zero, the air temp was 90 something and the water was about 85 degrees. I could feel dead clams all over the bottom on the first dive - a really bad sign - and sure enough by the end of the day I wished I had used a dry suit, despite the warmth, and a full face mask. Whatever bacteria or toxin in the water reacted to me very badly after 4 hours in the water and my throat was nearly swollen shut by that evening.

In a situation like that the full face mask is probably more important than the dry suit. The skin is a fairly good barrier against a number of organisims (except the ones that cause skin rashes) but the oral nasal tract is pretty susceptible, especially if you are breathing dry air for an extended period and end up with dry mouth.

The classic cressisub full face mask is still around and works fairly well in situations where communication capability is not required. It is low tech but it is also inexpensive at $60-$75. It is also low volume as FFM's go and not prone to cause bouyancy issues. The down side is that it does not have a separate oral nasal cavity so there is more potential for CO2 buildup on hard working dives depending on how you set the mask up.

You have 2 options in setting up the mask. You can zip tie the lip on the mask on the regulator like a regular mouthpiece which gives you a little more room in the mask and eliminates any jaw fatigue issues. Or, in situations where CO2 buildup is a potential concern on hardworking dives, you can also leave the mouthpiece on the reg when you insert it into the mask and then you can still use the mouthpiece in a normal manner during strenous activity to achieve a very low residual volume in the mask as you have the same residual volume you'd have if using the regulator alone. You can still breath in the mask without using the mouthpiece, but there is less room in the mask.

Beyond that FFM's get expensive. Scubapro sells a full face mask with better visibility, a separate oral nasal cavity and accomodations for com equipment and another second stage but the cost is in the $400 range through a dealer and around $290 through Leisure pro on the rare occasions when they are in stock. There is a clear silicone generic version around, but they are still the $200-$250 range.

AGA masks are nice also with great viz, weight kits to keep them neutrally bouyant and lots of other accessories, but cost is again high - usually $500 plus.

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/HistoryOfDiving/index.html

Here is some more information on the various versions out there.

I would spend the money on a decent unit (AGA, M-48, EXO) and if you only need it for the one project sell it afterword.

NetDoc, are you actually diving Apopka for FUN.With absolute zero vis I can't see how you could teach. I assume the vis is better around Gourdneck. The ONLY reason I am tempted is cause I know whats down there and I want it bad.Some of the guys I probe with have gotten some nasty skin rashes out there and none of them will put their face in the water. Thanks for the info on the masks. I do not need comm and these will be easy dives so that cressi sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom