Need Large Fins - Size 16 (US)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to Cancun next month and need a set of fins to do some snorkeling and redoing my scuba dive classes some were down the road. When I went snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago I had trouble fitting into the fins that they had on the charter boat, and they tore into my foot pretty bad. I realize that I do not have many options due to my foot size, so spending a $100 or so would be in line with what I am expecting. My hope is that I could find something that would fit comfortably now, but I could use a boot down the road. I also don't want to spend more money down the road when I take my scuba classes. I am thinking that a split fin, and open healed would work best for me, but I am not ruling anything out, Are there any other bigfoot divers in the same boat?

Well best I can say is good luck I had enough trouble finding a size 14. Went with a mares volo-power myself. Just barely made it fit though.

You might check out either IDI Turtles or Scubapro Jet Fins XXL (you may have to ask for the XXL size as they are a new size and many shops don't know about them yet) The XXL Jets fit a size 15 Rockboot (picture size 15 tennis shoe) and with a thin neoprene bootie should fit a 16 or possibly size 17. I wear a size 13 in them with a very large soled boot and they are on the loose side (The XL size is too small for me though) Turtles are slightly smaller, but more flexible in the footpocket than the XXL so they are another option. Also if the first pair of Jets does not fit try another as they vary in size and shape of foot pocket depending on how the mold set up during the manufacturing process.

Check out http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html for pictures and a variety of boot sizes. And if you get the chance to try them on and find they fit (even if you don't get them) let me know what brand/size bootie you tried them with so I can add it to the chart for others looking for fins and boots.

The largest reported size I have on file is a size 15(US) 3mil soft boot which was a "little loose" in an XXL Jet.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. You'll pay between $60-$100 for Jets depending on where you get them from.

"My hope is that I could find something that would fit comfortably now, but I could use a boot down the road."

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying here, but I don't know how you could get a fin now and boots later and have a good fit now without the boots *and* later with the boots. Even with an adjustable heel strap, the foot pocket has to fit properly around your foot (and boot). Get them both now, and buy the fins to fit after you have the boots on.

If cost is a limiting factor I would say you probably don't want to start zeroing in on the idea of getting split fins (or any other particular type of fin). My split fins (and most I've seen) are considerably more expensive than most fins, and there are a lot of excellent (some here would say much better) choices at much lower prices. I think the JetFins / Turtle fins suggestion is an excellent one.

In any case, you certainly want to get open-heeled strap fins. If I was going to try to save a little money now, I'd say save it on the boots (but bear in mind that you'll still need a good fit if you later upgrade the boots) and get the fins you will want to keep.

I'd second the suggestion of going with the Scubapro XXL Jet Fin.

If you don't want to use boots now, you could use a shoe designed for in water use like an Aqua Sock, although I never seen one in size 16.

jpeterson1:
I am going to Cancun next month and need a set of fins to do some snorkeling and redoing my scuba dive classes some were down the road. When I went snorkeling in Cozumel a few years ago I had trouble fitting into the fins that they had on the charter boat, and they tore into my foot pretty bad. I realize that I do not have many options due to my foot size, so spending a $100 or so would be in line with what I am expecting. My hope is that I could find something that would fit comfortably now, but I could use a boot down the road. I also don't want to spend more money down the road when I take my scuba classes. I am thinking that a split fin, and open healed would work best for me, but I am not ruling anything out, Are there any other bigfoot divers in the same boat?
A size 16? My gosh man, do you really need fins to move you through the water? :wink:
I wear a 14W and the width is where I have trouble. I have Volos and Quattros. Both fit fine. My problem is finding fin boots for a large, wide foot. Good luck and have fun in Cancun!

jpeterson1:

There is a diver, on the board that is selling a pair of XL scubapro jet fins for $70. Good buy, I'd say. Do a search, fs scubapro jet fins and make him an offer.

The Jet XL's will be too small.
You need the XXL Jets. They should work for you with thin booties.

agreed, most folks in a size 12 have trouble fitting in the XL jets, a few size 13's squeeze in (I tried, and didn't like them).

For boots check out Scubatoys http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Boots_Hoods_Gloves.asp they have a "Tropical Bootie" available in a size 16 for $16.90 - not much additional cost to any fin you get, plus your feet will love it on walks over the hot sand and sharp rocks.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. of course my favorite boots are the hightide variety http://www.hightidegear.com/boots.htm and they are available in a XXXXXL size (approx 15-16) but you'll pay at least $50 for them :wink:

It looks like the Scubapro XXL Jet Fins may be my best option. Can anyone recomend a good place to purchase them at a good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom