My brand new Apollo Bio Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
I'm so happy to finally get my new fins! I can't wait till next weekend to dive with them. Can any Apollo Bio owners give advice on useage? Is the kick style really different?

as far as kick styles I found that a shorter/quicker stroke works best

now as for use

ANYTHING UNDERWATER :bounce:

Hi luv2

I just got mine last month.

As long as you remember to do the shorter faster kick you'll love them. When I first used mine I had to always keep in mind the kick. If I forgot, Iwould really notice the diference and corrected back. I guess with time it will become second nature again.

By the way, If anyone is interested (I am in no way connected to them), "divers direct" is no longer going to carry them (they told me at the Orlando, Florida store), and it's getting rid of the ones in stock really cheap. I got mine for about $130

I've been using Apollo Bio fins for about 2 years. Yo definitely have to alter your kicking style from that taught in classes.

No more straight legs and big hip kicks. Slightly bend your knees and kick using shorter kicks, keeping them within the slipstream of your body. You also use more ankle action. To move quickly, take sfast short flutter kicks, moving your ankles as well.

No, the faster small kicks do not make you use more air or make you tired. In fact, most people I have talked to who use them noticed a good improvement in their air consumption.

I also use Atomic Split fins when I need a little stiffer fin. But I'll never go back to paddle fins.

Can the Bio-Fins generate enough thrust for me to tow/push a tired diver against a moderate/strong current? My current fins (Dacor knockoffs of the Volo) are too soft to handle this type of workload. The ScubaPro Jet Fins can no doubt handle this, but they can be hard on the legs.

On a recent dive boat trip, was suprised how fast a gal with a pair of Bio_Fins was swimming. I'd like to here from divers that actually use these fins.

Should one assume that the fin action that Dee described is indicated for most split fins? I just picked up a pair of Tusa Zooms from a diver who gave up on them because he couldn't get any power out of them. Anybody have advice re the effective motion for the Tusa Zooms?

Allen

Even though I have only used Apollos, everything I have read and heard from people tends to indicate the same as Dee describes.
Just give them a try and experiment until you find that sweet spot.

BoricuaMojao

I just purchased the Apollo Bio Fins. One of the reasons I purchased split fins was while I was swimming with my buddy, I had a hard time keeping up with him with my paddle fins. I had to kick twice as hard as he was to keep up. Apollo split fins had the highest rating with the split fin. After reading the posts, I think the trick is the kicking motion with the Bio. Once I try them, I will let everyone know how I like them.

ifukuda:
Can the Bio-Fins generate enough thrust for me to tow/push a tired diver against a moderate/strong current? My current fins (Dacor knockoffs of the Volo) are too soft to handle this type of workload. The ScubaPro Jet Fins can no doubt handle this, but they can be hard on the legs.

On a recent dive boat trip, was suprised how fast a gal with a pair of Bio_Fins was swimming. I'd like to here from divers that actually use these fins.

If your use to paddle fins like the Jet fins or Dacor Black Tigers but looking for a split fin that comes real close to a paddle fin try the Bio-fin XT. For one reason is that they are stiffer than the Bio-fin Pros, second they are designed for the stronger swimmer that wants a split fin with a paddle fin feel. Especially if your concerned about push/towing a tired diver they are the fin for you.

Personally I wouldn't trade my Bio-fin Pros for anything else. To me I love them. Great on my legs, excellent propulsion, 100% natural rubber like Jet fins, so they'll last a while.

You'll love them! I traded with my buddy one time because I have never used anyhting else other than Bio-fins and wanted to see the difference. I noticed it took more effort with the paddle fins also. Almost didn't get my Bio's back because my buddy noticed the differnece too! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom