Oceanic Vortex V12 how would you guys rate these fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro

Reaction score
Any have a pair of these fins? How good are they, I would like peoples comments and opinions please.

I bought a pair once for my gf when I couldn’t find a pair of Apollo Bio-fin Pros (Apollo fins are next to impossible to find here in Thailand). We both found the V12 very heavy and just not as comfortable to use as the Apollo Bio-fins—I ended up returning them to Oceanic (Thailand). My gf and I (when I’m not using my Scubapro Jetfins) both use Apollo Bio-fin Pros and, IMHO, they are definitely the best split fins out there.

A dive instr. buddy of mine just got a pair yesterday,,,,we are diving this weekend,,,,will let you know. They appear to be the same fin or similar to the Tusa ,,,at least the buckle system is the same manfc..

Ok thanks very much.. Look forward to hearing your dive report aswell. I can't get apollo boi's here either and if I could it would cost me a packet

Vie:
I bought a pair once for my gf when I couldn’t find a pair of Apollo Bio-fin Pros (Apollo fins are next to impossible to find here in Thailand). We both found the V12 very heavy and just not as comfortable to use as the Apollo Bio-fins—I ended up returning them to Oceanic (Thailand). My gf and I (when I’m not using my Scubapro Jetfins) both use Apollo Bio-fin Pros and, IMHO, they are definitely the best split fins out there.

Vie,

I was told by some one a few years ago that the Oceanic V12 and Apollo Bio-fin Pros were identical as they are from the same manufacturer. It was just a matter of brand. Thanks for the first-hand info. I was considering it a while ago. I guess I will settle with ScubaPro Jetfin for my next pair.

Ciao,

wunat:
I was told by some one a few years ago that the Oceanic V12 and Apollo Bio-fin Pros were identical as they are from the same manufacturer. It was just a matter of brand. Thanks for the first-hand info. I was considering it a while ago. I guess I will settle with ScubaPro Jetfin for my next pair.

The Oceanic V12, if compared to a pair of similarly sized Apollo Bio-fin Pros, are slightly longer in length. They are also heavier. I was told that Oceanic considered buying/taking over Apollo back in the mid ’90s and the Oceanic/Apollo rumour may have contributed to the info that the fins come from the same manufacturer. I have no idea whether the Bio-fins and the V12s are actually manufactured by the same company—I will check. They both use the patented “Nature’s Wing” design but they are NOT identical. The V12s have small grooves near where the fins meet the foot pockets. The footpockets are differently sized by the two brands and the Apollos have a small opening at the tip of the foot pockets whereas the V12s do not.

The Apollo Bio-fins, all models, are made in Japan using
all natural rubber and five sizes. There is no connection
to OCEANIC.

Michael Brennan, President
Apollo Sports USA, INC.

I have the V12 fins and love them. After switching from generic flat fins I have found that I get more power with less effort. On surface swims, my buddies have a hard time keeping up, or I just take it easy and have no problem staying with them. They are great under the water too, I almost never get a cramp when I use the split fins, when before I would get them now and then. They really are a great set of fins. They are heavy, but once in the water you can't tell.

The V12's or any splits are somewhat condition oriented. I have a lot of dives with a pair in sites such as quarries and they are hard to keep up with. Split fins are great for moving quickly with a minimum amount of effort but may not be your best bet for manuvering in a current. As a test, one diver I know got to the bottom of a local quarry with V12's and let all the air out of his BC. He claimed that he couldn't generate enough thrust to get off the bottom. He repeated the same test with a pair of Atomic splits and achieved a better result (Atomics have stiffer blades). I can also see how split fins channel the water down- from five feet off a silt bottom they will raise a cloud. I also use SP Jets and they definately require more effort when moving in a straight line than split fins.

Excellent information, thanks for your input. I have bought a pair and will dive with the this weekend and see how I go and then tell you my opnions as well as compare them to the quatros and powers I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom