fins, boots, and shoe size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aroughton

New
Reaction score
My wife and I have signed up for scuba class, now we just need some gear! I've been bargaining with my LDS, and I've decided to buy my masks there so we have the convenience of a quick swap in case they don't fit. But I'd like to buy my fins on line, since DiveInn seems to have them for about 50% of what I can get them for around here...including shipping.

My question is this (sorry it took me so long): I don't know how to size fins to boots to shoes. In particular, I'm looking at Mares Avanti Quattro fins, and I really haven't decided on any boots, but when I do, how do I know they'll fit the fins right? I wear a 10.5 or 11 tennis shoe, and my wife wears a 9.5 women's shoe. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the boards!!

Mares Avanti Quatros in a size Regular fit my bootied size 9 feet perfect. the larges were a little loose.

I don't buy all my gear at my FDS (favorite dive shop)(it's not local)
I do buy most of it there. especially life support. I want him to be in business as long as I'm diving. I do tell him what I can buy for on-line and he will usually come down a little more from his discounted price.
Shop loyalty has paid off for us. there are a lot of little services and fixes that we don't get charged for. For example I've had 2 of his tanks for 2 weeks now. he charged me for 1 tank 1 day. last fall he replaced the exhaust tee on my wifes reg, no charge. He also fixed my mask with parts from a broken one he had laying around. Without those parts I'd a had to buy a new mask.
It might be a good investement to spend some $ there.

Disclaimer: just because my FDS is this way, doesn't mean yours will be.

Hope this helps!

I have Mares Plana Avanti's in Regular as well. The Large were just too large. My foot is about 10.5-11 and I wear Mares 3mm booties with the fins. They fit fine, but I recently bought a pair of Atomic split fins in Large and they seem to fit much better. Less "play-room" and more snug, yet comfortable.

I also recommend getting most gear at your LDS. The only gear I don't get from them is gear they do not carry or would have a hard time getting. The Atomic splits for instance. But I did try on the Atomics first before buying. As they will teach you in class, comfort and fit are some of the most important elements for your gear.

Any life-support equipment should definitely be bought from your LDS. They should know the gear they sell and will be able to repair it easily.

Welcome to the boards!

I use Mares Avanti Trei Regular size - I'm size 9 and wear a 3mm boot.

You might want to consider the Trei rather than the Quattro if you're just getting in to Rec diving. They are 50% of the price for 80% of the performance.

As for buying get the online price and then see if your LDS will come close to it. Ask them before you try the fins on.

Regards

Thanks so much to all of those who have replied! I sincerely appreciate it.

I don't think we'll be purchasing anything other than snorkelling gear for now. We'll wait until we're certified and completely hooked on scuba before we make any larger purchases...and as recommended by many of you, we'll definitely buy that stuff at our LDS.

Welshman, you recommended the Avanti Tre (or X3...I think that's the open heel version...). Definitely better price, but the reviews for that fin always come back a little negative. Because we're both just starting out, I fear that the X3 might be too stiff a fin. Any more thoughts on this? It's hard to know which might be better without any dives under my belt. I don't recall any negative reviews of the Quattro...in fact, only glowing reviews. I was leaning that way because I was afraid I would buy the X3 and then in 6 months wish I had bought the Quattro.

Aroughton

I've no complaints about the Avanti Trei which is, as you say an open heel fin. It has 3 sections i.e. 2 soft dividers, compared with the 4 of the Quattro i.e. 3 soft dividers. There's no denying that the Quattro is rated as one of the best if not the best blade fin on the market but the price comparison in the UK is £40 against £80. I don't think the Trei is too stiff. My wife has the Trei in a small size and she thinks they are very good fins. We use our fins for Rec diving only so high performance isn't an issue. manoueverability is what you need.

As for what to get now I would suggest you get mask/schnorkel, fins, boots and wetsuit. These are all personal items which need to fit you. I would strongly recommend open heel fins with boots. Boots means that for shore diving your feet are protected both on the sand/rocks when approaching the water and when you walk in the water. You then put your fins on when your chest deep and you have your BC partially inlated. The Mares fins have an outstanding clip/clasp type fastener which makes them so easy to put on and take off.

I'd recommend a full wetsuit of whatever thickness is appropriate to where you will be diving. For example I have a 3mm wetsuit for when we warm water dive and a 6.5mm semi dry for colder waters. You often see people on this board ask if they need a wetsuit in very warm water i.e. 78-82f. Technically no for just one dive but for repetitive diving, say 2 or 3 dives in a day, you need to retain body heat. Even 80f water is 18f cooler than your body heat. You never over heat underwater and you'll notice the difference even in a warm indoor pool after you've been in for an hour doing your confined water training.. As for why a full wetsuit even for schnorkelling, the answer is that you are protected from stinging critters. Those who wear shorties are not!

I think you're wise not to buy the rest of the gear until you know that you're hooked (you probably already are but haven't realised it yet - it's a nice addiction to have!) and more importantly you know what diving you want to concentrate on.

As for buying from an LDS rather than buying over the net I do both. I get the best online price and, like Tavi, see if the LDS is prepared to come close to it. If they are I'll buy from them. However, I've come across more than one LDS who just quote MRSP and think I ought to be grateful for the opportunity to buy from them. No thank you! However, I'm prepared to pay something of a premium over the online price for good service.

Don't feel guilty about shopping around - you worked hard for your money so why should you give it away.

Best of luck with your course.

regards

In addition to DiveInn, I have made on-line purchases from Divers Discount.com and Leisurepro.com. Chekc their prices and shipping against DiveInn before making any purchases. This may save you a few bucks.

Well, we ended up buying the Mares Avanti X3 open heel fins from DiveInn. The service was great, the shipment was prompt, and the fins are fantastic. I purchased some Scubamax zip-up booties at a local shop, but after I tried them on with the fins I decided I wanted something a little thinner. So we ordered the Henderson Octotropic low cut booties from LeisurePro. They fit wonderfully, and they're very comfortable in and out of the water. The LeisurePro order was very smooth and easy also. But I did learn that you can get more shipping options if you use their website rather than phone order.

We had our first classes last weekend, and we'll complete our certification next weekend.

Thanks so much to all of you who helped me make informed decisions!

Nice to hear that you found the advice from all of us useful.

Good luck with your certification.

Regards

I will only say that i would go with the thick sole botties. I find them much better when a walk is needed.

With the booties of your choice on, try out the fins. Fit is the most important thing.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom