Specific Differences in Swimming/Finning Efficiency Jets/Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, It's me, Mr. Comparison again:05:

I'm a size 11 street shoe. I'm currently and for the forseeable future renting an Ocean Concepts Neo Z drysuit with attatched boots. (Just in case anyone's had sizing experience/advice, with fins and that suit.)

I'd like to use XXL Jets but it sounds very likely from all of the threads here that Turtles are going to be the most likely fit...?

Even though I've read all of the previous threads, I (and apparently others here) don't know what specific swimming/finning characteristics differ between the Jets and the Turtles.

I can imagine some due to the Turtles being somewhat softer.
Does the Turtles' vertical, bladelike fin on top of the main paddle fin, do anything that you have been able to feel compared to Jets?
(I've used and like Jets). I do recall some surface swimming differences noted in one thread...

I MAY end up ordering both XXL Jets and Turtles and returning one/both, but knowing in advance if I should even consider the feel of the Turtles in use, current, alternate finning styles, etc. would be helpful.

It's been my impression that most Turtle users have had to, out of sizing/boot compromises rather than choice, gone to Turtles? Most seem to have preferred to have used Jets but just couldn't. Any news on Scubapro coming up with a foot pocket size between XXL and Turtles this new year?

I realize that on the surface this post seems like all the zillions of other "Jet Vs Turtles" threads, but I think anecdotal accounts about the actual FEEL differences in their use, would be helpful to lots of folks here.

As always, thanks! Jim T.

I own a Diving Concepts Neo Z dry suit and wear a size 13 shoe. I started off with the XXL Jets and like them. But there was a lot of side to side play. My foot fit in the fin pocket fine, it was just too wide and too tall. The XL Jet fin didn't fit me at all. So I moved to the Turtles. I like them over the Jets. Not as much play with them and they feel "shorter" when swimming. I prefer the Turtles over the Jets IMHO.

DJ

I can't tell the difference between my Turtles and my Jets (which I sold but borrow back every time I need a fin to use with wetsuit boots.)
The only thing to consider (IMO) between Jets and Turtles is which foot pocket fits you the best.

Thanks ppo2 and Uncle Pug.
I've read a lot of your posts U.P. and if you like the Turtles better than the jets that would seem to speak volumes to me. Not to mention that we dive in the same area/conditions!

ppo2, Well, if your size 13 doesn't fit a xxl Jet then I guess it certainly won't work for my 12. Thanks for answering the Neo Z specifics for me!

The softer rubber doesn't give you any less power or acceleration or sloppiness in back up finning,surface swimming etc. then?
Sounds like if you both like them better than Jets than I've got nothing to worry about. Guess I'll give the Turtles a try.

Still wondering what that top vertical blade thing is supposed to do on the paddle.

Thanks for responding guys! Jim

Uncle Pug:
I can't tell the difference between my Turtles and my Jets (which I sold but borrow back every time I need a fin to use with wetsuit boots.)
The only thing to consider (IMO) between Jets and Turtles is which foot pocket fits you the best.

weight? bouyancy characteristics? stiffness? none of these any different?

Jim, I didn't mean to imply that I like the Turtles better than the Jets... fact is I can't tell the difference. I sold my Jets to a friend because the Turtles fit my drysuit boots better... but now every time I use a wetsuit I have to borrow the Jets back. Actually I'm a little peeved with myself for selling them since they were my very first pair of fins plus they are now sporting the first set of spring straps I made as well. Arrrgggg...

When you say top vertical blade thing are you refering to the stiffening ribs.
turtlefin.jpg

Yes, I am refering to the stiffening ribs. I wondered if they were there only because the Turtles' rubber is softer/more flexible than the Jets and because the Jets don't have them at all. Wondered if anyone felt any sort of drag from them or resistance in a flutter kick, etc. Thanks.

Well ive only dove with turtles but , the ribs i would think give some side to side grab for moving around in a hover. I know with mine i can keep the blade flat and slide the fin across the water to turn very easily .

DiverBuoy:
weight? bouyancy characteristics? stiffness? none of these any different?
I'm sure there are differences in the characteristics to one degree or another. They go un-noticed because they are not differences that effect how I use the fins.

If you want to do efficient frog, helicopter and reverse kicks (or lateral sculling head down and vertical while looking under ledges) then you want a paddle fin and either the Jet or the Turtle work great and are fairly inexpensive as fins go.

Best not to over-focus on the minutiae. Foot pocket fit is the bigger issue.

inverted-sculling.jpg

Uncle Pug:
(or lateral sculling head down and vertical while looking under ledges) ....

UP: I don't think they teach that in fundies. More of a Tech1/2 kick?? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom