Looking for Mr Goodmask- Narrow face, big nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

datetree

Registered
Reaction score
The Italians, they understand. I used to have a mares mask that fit. Lost it in Cuba 1n 1999. Been diving since then with a Tusa, I think (I dive once per year. When I do, I dive about twenty dives. At about dive ten, I feel I am moving forward again. Mexico. Honduras. I grew u in Miami Beach. Now I live in New Mexico. Have never dove in cold water- Rescue diver, rebreatehr certified.Ok, that's me, now the question
I was just used to getting a headache every time I dove. Then I figured out teh mask was too small antero-posteriorly. My nose is too big. The mask fit my face with the breath in test, but after a period of time in the water, I had a headache. That is, although my face is quite narrow, the critical factor seems to be that the nose pocket is too small, resulting in occaisional leakage, and when i saw my face in a picture, a bug eyed look. Also, a mark on my forehead from the bridge. yes, I adjust the height of the straps.
Looking for a low volume mask that fits me. Is the big Eyes, a low volume. sure I'd love extra lenses down below - Mares Esa- but, fit is what I want first. I'm three hours away from a LDS. Thanks,
datetree

I'm afraid you've answered your own question. "but, fit is what I want first." The answer to the solution is to drive the 3 hours to the LDS and try on multiple masks until you find one that fits. You can't have fit without actually trying the masks on.

Best solution; do the breathe test, then without breathing (just let the mask rest on your face) lookup and see how the mask fits around the bottom of your nose and cheeks and finally push on the top of the mask and see if it pushes against the bridge of your nose.

If you pass all these tests then you should be ok.

Again you can't guess whether a mask is going fit you or not and just because it fits someone else does not mean it is going to fit you.

Good Luck

Andrew

Same boat as you , i use the Mares X vision right now , but it doesnt fit as well as i like . Nose pockets is perfect , but leaks a little bit . I just ordered a Dive rite frameless to try , money back offer if it doesnt fit , see what happens .

Thank you guys. Most of the time the masks at the LDS just aren't right. If the LDS is good, then I'm ok. The mares mask that I bought some years back was in Miami Beach, and that dive shop was very good, the LDS in ABQ less so, I'm afraid. For reference the mask that I have used these past 5 years is a Sherwood EZR2, and it causes the headaches. I will do the fit test that Andrew recomends right now, and get back to you. Just eyeballing that mask, I can see the nose pocket is too small, and hence the bottom silicone lip is too short, which is what I perceive to be the problem. Am I correct?
I am looking for a list of masks to search for when I make the three hour trip to my LDS.
Thanks again, and I apologize for my typing, but the computer keyboard lacks several keys.
Ben

Did Andrews fit test. It does not fit on the bottom lip- nose is too big, or silicone too short - because the fit is not snug, a little air space. Also, if I push down on the mask with the mask pointed at the ceiling, so towards my face, then I do feel it on the bridge of my nose, but it's not bad. If I were to push down towards my nose, then it's more of a pressure, which is what I think happens, when I am at deeper levels. All In all, the mask almost fits, with just the nose pocket too small, causing the maks to pull away around the cheeks. I have been compensatiing for this, apparently unconsciously, by making the straps too tight, causing headache. Thanks for your help. I'd appreciate some names of masks. Any one hear about the Omersub Aries 45?
It has color correction, which seems strange to me, at first anyway.
Ben

Try the Scubapro Trinidad Frameless

I fit a lot of people in this mask. It seems to have good nose clearance and fits most size faces.

Definitely worth a shot.

Hi datetree,

The Greeks understand just as well as the Italians! :) I have the exact same problem as you. I have the Mares X-Vision which works well but not great in this respect. I'm actually looking for a mask to replace it right now; i'll keep the Mares as backup because it's a truly great mask with just this one small problem. terrasmak made a similar point above.

I have tried MANY masks to help with my... disproportional nose issue, none of them worked better than the Mares. Here's what i did: i bought several masks from Leisurepro and will keep one if it fits and send the rest back. The masks that i ordered are: Scubapro Frameless 2, Oceanic Shadow, Cressi Matrix. They should be here by Friday and i'll update with some feedback, which - of course - may or may not be apply directly to you since no two faces are exactly the same, but at least you can hear from someone facing the same issue.

BTW, i don't mean to make the above sound like an 'LDS vs online purchase' thing; i just opted to basically have them all delivered at once and then make one trip to the UPS store rather than drive around indefinitely looking for a mask.

Hope this helps.

evo with purge works great for me and i used the following mares seta, x vision and big eyes

H2OSensei:
Try the Scubapro Trinidad Frameless

I fit a lot of people in this mask. It seems to have good nose clearance and fits most size faces.

Definitely worth a shot.
I just got back from one of the Okinawan dive shops and they had them . Fits real nice , if the Dive Rite doesnt fit when i get it in the mail , that will be my next mask.

to terrasmask so you liked the scubapro trinidad frameless? or was it the frameless, or frameless 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom