Folding and Pocket Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labaum

Registered
Reaction score
The other forums have convinced me that the way to go is to keep a pocket/folding snorkel in the BC pocket and take the rigid snorkel off the mask.
I know there are not a ton of choices out there, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations (or "keep away from at all costs") on what brand/type to buy (and where to but it).
As always. much thanks.

I agree that you really don't want a snorkel hanging off your mask all the time. I tried a few different easy to store snorkels and ended up with a simple non-folding snorkel attached to my backplate. It is no good for using and then storing during a dive, but when you just need a snorkel for some reason at the end of a dive, it is there. I tried a Scubapro folding snorkel and it is a bit large. Also, I guess I was a little rough in storing it and also manage to damage the somewhat flimsy mouthpiece where it joins the hard plastic. Thankfully SP even supports snorkels with parts so I could repair it for almost the cost of a regular snorkel. I also found an Apollo folding snorkel which seemed like a better design than the SP as long as you have a place to store it. The MSRP on that one is a bit rough so if you can get by with finding a place to store a simple snorkel other than on your mask, i'f do it/

Ive seen the one by i believe Aqua lung . It actually rolls up and stores in its own little holder. They seem pretty nice , very compact , i will probably get one soon and keep it in my cargo packet.

IMO folding snorkles are almost universally among the worst snorkles out there (would never use one for snorkling) but like the little "donut" spare tires in most cars these days the worst piece of junk that you have with you is much better that the perfect thing that you're not willing or able to carry. I use an SP nexus stuffed in a pocket.

I use the Sherwood Avid pocket snorkel. I have the Avid BC which has the built-in pocket for the snorkel. The snorkel is not fantastic but does the job.

Oceanic folding pocket snorkel. Not too big but does the job well, replaceable mouthpiece, clears easily, and fits into the pocket really nice. Only thing I'd change is the mount. The velcro type closure is really stiff when new so that you almost have to take the mask off and on to fix the snorkel or remove it. I replaced mine with a quick release button type.

Here's another vote for the oceanic. It's actually a nice snorkel, and it folds.

p_snorkels_pocket2.jpg

Terry

JimLap:
Oceanic folding pocket snorkel. Not too big but does the job well, replaceable mouthpiece, clears easily, and fits into the pocket really nice. Only thing I'd change is the mount. The velcro type closure is really stiff when new so that you almost have to take the mask off and on to fix the snorkel or remove it. I replaced mine with a quick release button type.

cripes buy a rubber snorkel and fold it. to use it, just slide it under your mask strap.
oh, this should not be taken as an indication that I use a snorkel.

snorkels.jpg

Back
Top Bottom