Need Fin Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
Last time I went warm water diving (Caymans) I brought along my gigantic 26" long Cressi "yellow boards" and booties that I use when diving up here in the Northwest. They were pretty big to pack. I'm headed to Aruba next and a buddy of mine packs the 2 BCs, and Regs so all I typically bring is my mask, snorkel, and fins. Looking to get some more compact find. Typically dive in the 60-90 foot depth. I was considering something like a Tusa FF-9 closed foot but the Large size is almost 26" long! Then there is the Zeagle Teleoz but I'm concerned I won't get a chance to really try them and get use to them before the trip. There's got to be a decent, moderately priced fin out there that is less than 2 feet long (10 shoe size)?

Am I better of staying with an open foot with booties or should my feet not get cold with a closed foot at those depths in the Caribbean?

How about Force Fins? Only 18"?

Help!

Just looked at the prices on the Force Fins, Holy *****!

jc2:
Last time I went warm water diving (Caymans) I brought along my gigantic 26" long Cressi "yellow boards" and booties that I use when diving up here in the Northwest. They were pretty big to pack. I'm headed to Aruba next and a buddy of mine packs the 2 BCs, and Regs so all I typically bring is my mask, snorkel, and fins. Looking to get some more compact find. Typically dive in the 60-90 foot depth. I was considering something like a Tusa FF-9 closed foot but the Large size is almost 26" long! Then there is the Zeagle Teleoz but I'm concerned I won't get a chance to really try them and get use to them before the trip. There's got to be a decent, moderately priced fin out there that is less than 2 feet long (10 shoe size)?

Am I better of staying with an open foot with booties or should my feet not get cold with a closed foot at those depths in the Caribbean?

Help!

I prefer to stay with open heel fins with booties. I am not sure about shore dives in Aruba but Bonaire and Curacao have excellent shore diving. The surface that you walk on to get into the water is not always beach sand however.

The booties protect your feet from rocks, shells etc while you are entering the water.

I neglected to mention that I'm looking for the best dual-purpose fins: Warm Water SCUBA AND Snorkleing. I'd prefer to pack 2-3mm neoprene socks instead of 5mm booties but I guess the booties don't take up that much space but I feel a little ridiculous wearing 5mm booties on a family vacation that I know I'll only be doing some snorkling. But what the heck, you have to walk down to the beach from the condo or car usually wearing something on your feet. Why not booties? And I don't think I need to worry about my feet getting too hot. eyebrow

Initally I was leaning towards Oceanic V-6 for closed foot since it seemed more appropriate for SCUBA than the Caribe. Can't find weight and dimensions.

Now if I just go for a compact open foot, I know the Apollo Bio Fin Pro is the big favorite, but could I save considerable money going with the Oceanic V-12 and minimal difference in performance? Can't find weight and length on these either.

Force Fin is out as I hace ascertained it would be a poor choice for snorkeling.

jc I know the Apollo Bio Fin Pro is the big favorite:
Oceanic V-12 is not a bad choice. Of course, we suggest you buy the best the first time: however; the OCEANIC-V12 is a very fine fin. E-mail Doug Krause @ Oceanic and he will provide weight and length etc.
Customer Service / Tech Support
service@oceanicusa.com or info2@diveaeris.com
toll free: (800) 435-3483, ext. 226 or 128

Hi,

Force fin is pretty good as well.:D

jc2:

Help!

You will love the Atomic Full Foot Splitfins. Same outstanding perfomance as the open heel fin for both scuba and snorkeling. Testers Choice in Scuba Diving Mag fin review and only weighs 2.5 lbs so great for traveling! Six sizes and colors are Yellow or Blue. Suggested Retail at $89.95.

Chad B
www.atomicaquatics.com

Hi jc2,

That's why I have so many fins... LOL!

Check out this review:
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0303extra.htm

Anyhow, I have all 3 fins and the apollo seems to be the best in performance when it comes to flutter kicks. The atomics are a little to long for me and the mares gives me cramps.

Since, you have experience with longer fins, I think the Mares might be a better choice for you in a regular size.

The other alternative would be to get a force fin from ebay or any of these fins from Ebay. Since I'm a US9.5 I guess you'll be near what I use. Force fins XL, Mares regular, apollo medium or large.

A couple more reviews just to confuse you more LOL!
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/2005_fin_test/
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/fin_fight/
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/foot_rockets:_open-heel_fins/

Cheers,

SangP

Had mares quattros, volos, and apollo biofin pro XT silver C-series. Along with having by far the longest name, the apollos are by far my favorite. Never gotten a leg cramp or fatigue with the splits, even in current. The XTs have more torque than the regular biofin pro and thus eliminate that "weak" feeling that some people have complained about with other fins. If you are going with a paddle fin, get the volos. The price isn't that much more than the quattros anymore and they are much more comfortable.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom