Dual-Purpose Scuba/Snorkel Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes when I go on vacation with the family, I'm not sure whether I'll get a chance to SCUBA dive or not so a lot of time I won't go to the hassle of packing a bunch of dive gear. When I do go travel to go SCUBA Diving, I've taken my cold water booties and big/heavy Cressi fins. I thought it would be nice to have a lighter more compact fin that was adjustable so I could use it barefoot or socks for snorkleing and with socks or booties if I was anticipating some shore diving. The only thing I could find was the Adjustable Force Fins for $109.

I read up a lot on the Force Fins and saw the love/hate relationship people have. I don't want to start that . But I was wondering if anyone out there has a pair and uses both barefoot for snorkeling and with booties dfiving and how they like them?

I'd say 9 times out of 10 I'm NOT going to be doing shore diving on warm water vacations, so I'm thinking instead of risking not liking those expensive Force Fins, I'm better off just buying a pair of compact but highly rated closed heel fins and getting a pair of 2-3mm neoprene socks so I can use them snorkeling or diving. I heard force fins are the best forsurface swimming but they do specifically recommend the adjustable ones for snorkeling on their website?

jc2,

It's you again... LOL!

I'll make it real short this time...

Scubapro delta short low cut botties when you have to get off the boat and you don't wanna get a cut on coral or whatever. I have a pair in ML (US 9.5)
Fins:
AERIS Velocity Duo
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/2005_fin_test/1/
Pro Force fin (get it cheap from EBAY)
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/proforce_product.htm
ATOMIC AQUATICS Reef Red ( a bit too long and heavy for me)
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/fin_fight/2/

Bye

SangP

Thanks. Didn't mean to be redundant. I'll go pick up something up right now.

I suggest the Atomic Full Foot Split Fins. Same performance as our Scuba Divng Testers Choice open heel fins, yet weighs only 2.5 lbs a pair. Great for scuba and snokeling and also won a testers choice award in a recent full foot fin test. Foot pockets are soft so no socks needed. Only $89.98 MSRP. I use these myself in the summer diving off the Florida East Coast.

Chad B

jc2,

I wouldn't recommend a full foot fin as it limits what you can do when the ground is rocky or hot. Socks have a tendency to wear out real fast so unless you are doing any sort of freediving you don't need the performance of a full foot fin.

A cheap low cut bootie can keep your feet safe and they really allow you to walk about on really hot areas like a slipper.

Light fins like the Aeris & TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex are what you are looking for as they are almost as good as high performance fins like the Atomics or apollos but are way cheaper and lighter. Fins that are almost as good and cheap enough that if you loose them will traveling, it won't be a disaster LOL! I often travel with my Excellerating Force fins and if I loose them, I know I'll cry LOL!!!!!

SangP

Want a great full foot fin at an icredible price? Oceanic Caribe!! Light as a feather, great manuverability and accel. And I believe I saw them at LP for 19.95!! Can't beat that. Rodales loved 'em. so do I for travel and boat diving.
Now........... if we're talking open heel, with boots............ Apollo biofin. Hands down.

Hold that thought geggle165. I did a lot of homework before I got the Mares Plana Avanti Tre fins. First I bought the Caribes because they tested well just like you said and they were cheap. I tryed them out and sent them back right away. They would be great for leisure snorkel activity but they are too thin and way too flexible for scuba. They just had no power. The Mares ate them for breakfast.

I've had good luck with my Aeris Velocities open heeled. Hard to beat at $54 from L.P. Paid a lot more for the first 2 pair at the LDS. I have one size for wet and a larger pair for dry diving. Done lot's of wet skin and diving, even pool laps. Added spring straps with keepers and I'm happy. My wife has the same wet configuration and is good with it as well.

I agree with staying open heel. That way you always have foot protection and only need to travel with 1 pair of fins.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom