Atomic Split Fins vs. Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timotheus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having read a number of previous postings here and on other BBSs discussing which type of fin was best, I decided to run some tests in a standard 25-yard pool to find out for myself. For the first test, I brought my Atomic Split Fins and my Scubapro Jet fins (with spring straps) to the pool and timed myself for ten 50-yard laps, using a two minute interval for each 50. I alternated 50's between the Atomics and the Scubapros to try to prevent any "tiredness" bias from affecting the results. The two-minute interval gave me time to log the time in my wet notes book, switch fins, and rest for about a minute before starting the next 50. Only a flutter kick was used (no swimming with hands) and I did a flip turn to change direction at the other side of the pool. I am a former college swimmer who still does a swim workout three times a week, so my results may not hold true for people with other swimming abilities.

Atomic Split Fin 2/24/06

39.8 seconds
------
36.2 Seconds (Average)

Scubapro Jet Fin 2/24/06

------
35.0 Seconds (Average)

As you can see, the Jet Fins averaged over a second faster, which surprised me since they are mid-1960's technology and cost about half as much as the Atomics. It is true that the Atomics are easier to kick, so perhaps the ScubaLab and other subjective tests that give split fins high marks for efficiency are accurate. However, for a person in good swimming condition, I don't think it would be correct to say that split fins are faster. For the situations where you need maximum thrust with full scuba gear, I'm fairly certain the Jet Fins would deliver more power. It would be interesting to test that option someday.

The statement that split fins are the most efficient may not necessarily be accurate. Some divers now use a frog kick for propulsion during most of their dive, which the Jet Fins excel at and is a very efficient way to get around. I could do sort of a frog kick with the Atomics, but I had to wait much longer between kicks for the top half of the fin to snap back into the correct positon for the next kick. The Atomics were essentially worthless for reverse kicking.

Some of the times in my test seemed like outliers, so to verify my earlier test results, I decided to do a similar test on later dates. However, this time I just timed myself for five 50's with the same set of fins on. Here are the results:

Scubapro Jet Fin 3/03/06

------
34.4 Seconds (Average)

Atomic Split Fin 3/06/06

------
36.5 Seconds (Average)

The Jet Fins won again, this time by over two seconds.

For the heck of it, I decided to try the same test with my old Aqualung Blades Foot Pocked fins that I bought for snorkeling back in 1994. The results are shown below:

Aqualung Blades Foot Pocket 3/06/06

------
34.0 Seconds (Average)

Check this out! The old Blades beat both the Atomic Split Fins and the ScubaPro Jet fins, by 0.4 and 2.5 seconds respectively. The fins felt very light and fast as I kicked them. Almost no effort was really required, although for this and previous tests I was push myself to the limit. The downside is that if the foot pocked rips, there is no repair option, and they can't be worn with any of my cold water boots.

I would be interested in trying the same tests for Mares Volo and Oceanic V-12 Vortex fins.

Dude, were you bored? Makes me really tired just reading it...

I have Genesis splits and swim at a comfortable speed. I don't think I'll be outswimming sharks or trying to outrun anything any time soon...:wink:

You just keep swimming your heart out, 'kay?

On a dive trip the split fins versus jets were obvious, my buddy ran out of air on his splits trying to keep up with me against a current, proof is in the pudding.

cool test..... i'll keep my eyes open for a 'true' "unbiased" test of forceFins!

speed is cool, i've tried all the fins listed..... ANY of the split fins feel like i'm swimming with slippers on.... NO feedback on the kick.... i personally don't like that. the (blessed) jetfins feel like 40# bricks on my feet. ouch..... i always loved my BLADES until i tried forceFins. nice and short, no accidental kicking the reef - swimming backwards, sculling, easy on - easy off - light weight - easy to pack..... i've just never found anything better for MY type of diving: videography. YMMV

I have just switched form a pair of ist split fins to a set of turtles the turtles are much better for doing a frog kick. But I will say this if you are not doing a frog kick the split fins work good lots of power. I can tell the difference while doing a surface swim my legs did not get as tired as while using the splits.

The problem with most test is the only thing the testers seem to be interested in is which is the "fastest", many of us could care less how "fast" a fin is. I try to go slow. Control and precision are what is important to me. Efficency depends on what you want the fin to do. The fastest fin may well not be the best at turning or reverse. I carry a camera a lot of the time, every fish in the water can swim faster than me so I need to ease up on them and then slowly turn or back away to keep from spooking them. A fast fin with little control is useless to me. On the other hand, for some divers I see zooming around the water a fast fin may well be what they want. There is a reason the old Jets are still popular and it's not because they are pretty or cool.

herman:
The problem with most test is the only thing the testers seem to be interested in is which is the "fastest", many of us could care less how "fast" a fin is. I try to go slow. Control and precision are what is important to me. Efficency depends on what you want the fin to do. The fastest fin may well not be the best at turning or reverse. I carry a camera a lot of the time, every fish in the water can swim faster than me so I need to ease up on them and then slowly turn or back away to keep from spooking them. A fast fin with little control is useless to me. On the other hand, for some divers I see zooming around the water a fast fin may well be what they want. There is a reason the old Jets are still popular and it's not because they are pretty or cool.

Blast on, fast split fin divers, blast on. I'll continue to be the first in and last back on every boat trip, with my slow puttering old school Jets. Enjoy the deck and the galley, you're gonna see a lot more of it that I will.

I'll be in the water, righting the snails you knock over, photographing the little Nudis you blast past, saying hi to the octos you miss.

The more of you Mark Spitz types on a dive boat, the better it is for me. I love it.

---
Ken

I call BS on this. The only way to get absolute accurate results is from a machine..too many human factors involved that can skew the data.

I dive the SB Jet Fins too...great fins...but the way the data was gathered just doesnt prove anything.

Timotheus:
Having read a number of previous postings here and on other BBSs discussing which type of fin was best

Personal trials are useful (to see what fin works best for you), but for a true scientific test with multiple divers check out:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

It has a comparison of many fins plus some discussions on kick technique etc. Bottom line they found that split fins tend to be faster (and have lower air consumption) than paddle fins.

But fins are very personal choice so it still comes down to what works best for you with your gear configuration.

Very interesting. I have only used one set of fins. I am thinking of getting the Jets because my brother switched to them and raves about them.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom