Apollo Bio-Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Based on the recommendations offered here I set out to find a good deal on fins. I purchased a pair of Apollo Bio-Fin splits on eBay for $90. The seller said they were "lightly used", and the pictures bear this out. He has over 100 positive buyer responses and zero negative, so I'm hoping I did well going this route. Guess I'll know in a couple of days. :14:

They cost ~$135 with SB discount on ScubaToys...I would have gone with the used ones myself. There just isn't too much that wears on them as far as I have seen. Unlike those fins made up of different plastic parts glued together that always falla apart, a solid piece of rubber is pretty stable.

The strap posts are one of the only things that could potentially wear out and then you just cut em off and put on the C-straps which are AWESOME. :D

laserdoc:
Cou;ld have gotten them brand new for about the same price from Scuba Toys.com

Not really. Apollo seems to have some serious price controls in place as you NEVER see them for under $135, and the prices must have just gone up as they are now advertised at ScubaToys for $149.

I picked up a pair of mediums for $50 on ebay, and then paid $75 for the ones I use for dry-suit divinig which are larges...

These things are made of rubber, and dispite some scuffing, they don't really wear, or at least mine have not. $90 is a good deal for like new condition Bio-Fins as that's $60 less than the advertised price, and as LP has these also advertised for $149, Scubatoys is not going to deal much, maybe on shipping costs.

Thanks for your responses. You're confirming what I had believed to be true before making the purchase.

Now my hunt begins for a mask and snorkel. I'll be following the recommendations offered here, and will be heading to a local dive shop to check the fit of different masks prior to making a purchase.

Next step after that is getting my certification, and I'm all set for taking the class in May. I'll be performing my open water dives this summer in a quarry about 30 minutes south of home.

Wojo:
Now my hunt begins for a mask and snorkel. I'll be following the recommendations offered here, and will be heading to a local dive shop to check the fit of different masks prior to making a purchase.

I'd suggest that if you are going to use the LDS as a fitting room, you sould likely purchase something from them.

I certainly purchase online often, but I also make sure that I don't abuse the LDS in the name of checking out fit so I can then go purchase online.

Just my $$.03

Wojo:
Based on the recommendations offered here I set out to find a good deal on fins. I purchased a pair of Apollo Bio-Fin splits on eBay for $90. The seller said they were "lightly used", and the pictures bear this out. He has over 100 positive buyer responses and zero negative, so I'm hoping I did well going this route. Guess I'll know in a couple of days. :14:
That's a good deal ... I had over 600 dives on my BioFins when I sold them for $100. That was more than two years ago, and the person I sold them to is still using them.

A very nice recreational fin ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

RonFrank:
I'd suggest that if you are going to use the LDS as a fitting room, you sould likely purchase something from them.

I certainly purchase online often, but I also make sure that I don't abuse the LDS in the name of checking out fit so I can then go purchase online.

Just my $$.03

I agree with you...to try on the equipment there and then purchase elsewhere would be bad form.

The LDS that is providing the class offers a student discount, and I do plan on purchasing from them.

Can you still get Bio Fins for that price on Scubatoys ?

Someone told me that the bio fin does not do well with cross currents...

I was thinking of also getting myself a pair.

anyone have an opinion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom