Atomic Frameless Mask- I tried it today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMdoogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I finally got one at Force-E in West Palm Beach. In a word: Incredible. I used it on 5 dives today. I wore it with a hood, then without a hood. I took it off, and put it back on underwater. With such small volume, it took less than one breath to clear. No leaks, no fogging. The field of view is huge, I could read my computer without moving my head. My buddy said there was no "ring" on my face after I took it off on the boat, the silicone is that soft. Highly recommended.
Thanks, Darcy
DMdoogie

You should definitely be able to clear any mask several times on one breath, no matter what the volume. In my class we were "highly encourage" to be able to clear it at least 6, and we should be able to do more than that by the end of the semester. I've personally done 10-11 and I know someone who has done 19. Note that these are all done with a proper displacement snorkel clear after the mask clears. :)
As to the mask--sounds nice, but I can't use one since I have to have multiple lenses for my prescription lenses.

Atomic is also making a frame mask with two separate windows. I don't know if it is available LDS yet. It will be available with prescription lenses, according the the factory rep.
DMdoogie

i just got an ist imperial and although it takes about 2-3 breaths to clear fully its perfect in fit and the alround, crisp vision is second to none.

I just got the Atomic Sub-Frame. I'm heading down to FL on Sat and can't wait to use it.

Coming from MN we're not saturated with dive shops. I looked on the Atomic web site and called all the closest authorized dealers- no dice. So I called Atomic and spoke to a service rep who was as cool as it gets. She called the authorized dealer thats closest to my house and told them to order some masks. They did and a week later I had my new Sub-Frame.

Just a thought if anyone is trying to track down Atomic Products . :wink:

I'm chomping at the bit to try mine. Bought it as soon as my lds got them in (he promised to call, and actually did!), and won't be able to try it until our trip to Coz in June. Glad to hear that it's as awesome as I expect it to be.

Had a buddy smuggle a frameless in to me from mich. No dealers in the entire state here! I like it! haven't dove with it yet. but feels and fits great. Incredibily light. Now if it does have a persistant fogging problem, I think it's a keeper!

Sorry, guess I should have proof read the previous message ; should read "doesn't have a persistant fogging problem"

Kimball Chilcott:
i just got an ist imperial and although it takes about 2-3 breaths to clear fully its perfect in fit and the alround, crisp vision is second to none.

It should SERIOUSLY not take 2-3 breaths to fully purge ANY mask. If that mask has a purge valve, there's your first problem. Your second problem is that you probably just aren't do it with good technique. I've never tried on a mask I couldn't get at least 5 good mask clears on a single breath.

Yea, they are pretty darn impressive... it's the new super clear glass makes the visibility unbelievable. A bit pricey at 90 bucks... but very cool mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom