Apollo Bio Fin "Pro" or "XT" recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy Mackerel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone use these fins? Recommendations for either style, ie

The Bio-fin pro in Black is produced with a 65 hardness.

or

Bio-fin pro XT is specifically produced with a hardness of 75.

I am doing mostly kayak dive, some shore dives, lobster diving, hopefully more boat diving.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I use the yellow Bio-fin pro which has about a 70 hardness (as does the blue colored fin).

I bought it because it's good for low vis water (it helps my buddy keep track of me). Also from the testing I've seen it's probably the hardness that gives you best fin efficiency.

Having said that I think all the styles are good, it's just personal preference. If you want to have more "feel" and want more control doing back kicks, helicopter turns etc, the XT is probably your best bet.

Holy Mackerel:
Anyone use these fins? Recommendations for either style, ie

The Bio-fin pro in Black is produced with a 65 hardness.

or

Bio-fin pro XT is specifically produced with a hardness of 75.

I am doing mostly kayak dive, some shore dives, lobster diving, hopefully more boat diving.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Holy Mackerel; I agree with Bradshi. The bio-fin pro XT is quite stiff. It will feel like a normal paddle fin such as AQUA-LUNG blades, MARES Quattro, etc. The most efficent model is the original bio-fin pro. Some divers, particularly divers used to older style fins,
find the original pro "floppy' since there is no resistance. If you want a bit of "feel" with all the efficency of the natural rubber bio-fins, the pro blues and yellows are perfect.

I prefer the black Bio-fin Pro(s) - imho, the XT is totally pointless.

I have the blue bio's --- I love 'em! Tried the XT's....... too stiff (as stated above "what's the point"). The blue or yellow seem perfect. Incredibly comfortable. Get the spring straps if you get them. You won't be sorry! you'll never go back to those rubber thingys anymore! (once again "What's the point!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom