Testing a mask for a proper fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TAH

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new mask and snorkel for an upcoming snorkeling trip to the Florida Keys. After trying several masks on at a very reputable LDS, they thought the SP CrystalVu Non-Purge was the best fit. I have been able to test it out twice in a pool and it seems to be lightly leaking under my nose and I do not have a mustache. When I was trying on different masks, all the shop really had me do was put the mask on my face and lightly suck air in through my nose. The mask easily stuck to my face. It seemed to be a great fit in the store and the best of all that I tried.

Is there another way to see if a mask is a proper fit besides the "sucking air through the nose" test? What else should I look for? How tight should the mask be?

Sorry about all the lame questions, but thought this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks,
Tom

BTW the SP Nexus snorkel is fantastic. Light weight and easy to clear.

Try doing the suck test with the snorkel in your mouth. It changes the shape of your face.

Joe

Sideband:
Try doing the suck test with the snorkel in your mouth. It changes the shape of your face.

Joe

I'll second that.

I also highly recommend the Mares X-Vision an adaptable mask for all face types/sizes.
My girlfriend and I sport completely different physiques (about 7 inches and 100lbs difference) my head/face being about twice as large. We both wear the X-Vision and have never had any complaints. It's a fairly low volume mask (great as a bc pocket back-up) and the skirt is ultra thin and slighlty longer than most so it creates a great all around seal.

Just my personal experience.....

Good luck!

Look up and place the mask on your face. Have another person look at the contours of your face and how well it lines up. For a well fitting mask, it should sit on your face without gaps.

I found that sucking air to hold the mask creates an artificial seal that is too easily broken when in the water.

As for mask fit, it should not be too tight, it should be comfortable. When your face is in the water, the water pressure will press the mask on your face. No need to make that mask strap super tight.

If your mask in only leaking very slightly at the base of the nose, try moving the mask lower down on your face. Readjust the strap on the back of your head. This may be all you need.

I second the Mares X-Vision comment...everyone that has tried mine has been a fit.

As far as trying on masks - here's what works. (LDS's that tell you to suck in through your nose are just trying to sell you a mask, because they basically all work if you do that):

Block the airway to your nose (like you would when diving). You can breathe through your mouth but you use the back of your tongue to block any airflow to your nose. Now take the mask with the strap out of the way or off and press it to your face. It should suction cup there and stay indefinitely. If it slowly loses its suction cup, try another mask. With my X-Vision, I can walk around with it stuck to my face forever without sucking in through my nose at all.

Basically do it like they had you do, but no sucking. The sucking will always stick a mask to your face.

Grab an X-Vision from ScubaToys. Betcha it fits you. It's super comfy and a great field of vision. They'll take it back if it doesn't fit I imagine. Also it comes in black skirt which is really nice.

Cheers! :D

Thank you (all) for your help and suggestions. I will try all these different tests tonight.

Tom

I second the Mares X-Vision. Just got mine from Scubatoys...and bought a Mares Mid-Vision for the girlfriend. Be trying them out in Roatan...30 days and counting!

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I'll second the X-vision too....been my primary dive mask for about 8 months now and I love it...and I have a werid skinny face thats hard to fit :)

You should never have to suck through your nose to hold a mask on your face. Just hold your breath and gently press the mask onto your face, it should stay there.

ae3753:
Look up and place the mask on your face. Have another person look at the contours of your face and how well it lines up. For a well fitting mask, it should sit on your face without gaps.

This is exactly the technique that my LDS used in helping me select a mask. I tried every mask they had and the one that fit the best was the cheapest one on the rack - Genesis SL. I was told my forehead is a little more pointy than normal. :D Go figure...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom