JetFin Rubber Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlessard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have a method for repairing a split in the flex-point of the side spline on rubber type fins? One of my XL jets have cracked, but they aren't dried out...I was thinking about trying to melt them or use rubber cement of some sort? Any hints that might help me out here?

Thanks, Trey

For some reason (and hopefully someone will be able to confirm this one way or the other) I think I remember that the rubber Jetfins are made from is neoprene. If that's true, a neoprene cement like AquaSeal should be ideal.

I don't think these are neoprene...these are old school, 30+ year old JetFins...the kind that have talcum powder stuck to them to keep them from decomping. I believe they are 100% genuine rubber...correct me if I'm wrong?

-T

No lightning bolt...VERY old school...I think they even used to have a blue S...still a smidgeon of paint on there...

Hey Wayward...I'm gonna try to get you that info on the spring strap order tonight. I'm trying to find out if I can fix my XLs for my dry suit to make it a total of 3 sets.

Thanks, T

being that old, I *think* they're pre-lifetime warranty but I'm not positive. Might be worth calling your local SP dealer & asking before doing anything to them.

If you do have to replace them the current Lightning Jets do have a lifetime warranty if bought from an authorized dealer.

Your dry suit boots may require the longer springs. Once you have the measurements I can confirm the prices for you.

Well, no feedback yet, so I guess I'm gonna go to town on them with a pair of pliers and a blow torch...ok, not really, but I'm gonna try some things and I'll let everyone know how it goes!

-T

Back
Top Bottom