Mask for huge nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capeanndiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help my friend please. He has been diving with a mares x-vision for the last three years and his nose continually breaks the bridge of the eye piece after excessive use at depth. He has a very big nose and he tried on many different masks at the Boston Sea Rovers and Beneath the Sea recently with no luck. Any recomondations for him?

Dive rite frameless , had a larger nose pocket than i needed , sucks it just didnt fit my face .

I too have been blessed with an extremely noticeable smeller... I like the Moray 2

the biggest nose pocket Ive seen is on the USD tri view, you might have to order it not many shops carry it. The SP crystal veiw also have a large nose pocket

JUMBO

The Scubapro Vantana has worked well for me and I have recomended it to many students that endowed in the same fashion.

I just bought the AquaLung wraparound ( http://www.aqualung.com/products/wraparound.html ) for my face. Due to the upper part of my nose, I guess it's the bridge, I had two options left after trying out numerous masks (Dive Rite included) - go with a child's mask whose skirt would be smaller, and thus make the front sit off of my face more, or just to go with the new version of the mask I was already using - a metal-framed wrap-around. My old one has chromed steel and an all-rubber skirt. It has been awesome. As a back-up, or to have it as a back-up and get a new mask (mine's what? 20 years old?), I bought the black-metal framed version you see here. Quite truthfully, it has more snoz room than I need, but its high-skirt seals across my forhead instead of placing some part of it near my upper-nose / lower forhead. I've never been comfortable in any other mask. The new mask sits, oh, maybe almost 1 centimeter more away from my face (than the old one, which had plenty of room already) due to the silicone skirt. The glass, itself, is huge too. So, as in the words of my dive buddies ZULU6 and dawetterdabetter, I have the equivalent of a Peterbuilt's windshield on my face. They say they keep expecting windshield wipers to go across the mask.

But they also say that after two days of cattle-boat diving it was nice in that they could pick out my square-framed mask from many feet away. Hey, I look like a geek, but I'm comfortable, and that's all that matters in diving when at depth.

Aqualung claims its the mask of choice of Search & Rescue divers... it may be due to its upper field of view which is great for seeing upcoming things without cocking one's head and neck back at too much of an angle (it has no lower field of view to speak of, so I won't), but I have yet been able to find why they claim this.

WarmWaterDiver, thanks for the links to the rest of those - I'd really like to try the other two models out, as I bet I'd like one of them. I have yet to find a LDS that carries ANY of them though, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom