Toothpaste cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a new Mares Pure Vision and wondering do i need to toothpaste just the inside or do i have to do the outside aswell?

excited to try it tommorow!

thx in advanced

Yeap, inside is good enough.

jo dude!
i think toothpaste is not such a great thing. it is more easy to burn
the silicon on the inside. Just be carefull u don t overheat the mask.
And also check before if the glass is actually glss and no plastik.

good luck dude!

Anyone know what to use on a seaview mask with the tinted lens?? I know they say not to use toothpaste.

there is stuff you can buy for it... but you might not need anything considering it is already treated with the tint :)

borderhopper:
jo dude!
i think toothpaste is not such a great thing. it is more easy to burn
the silicon on the inside. Just be carefull u don t overheat the mask.
And also check before if the glass is actually glss and no plastik.

good luck dude!

man im kinda confused... overheat? looks like someone is a DIY kinda person and is making masks out of tooth paste :D

Kray_Z:
man im kinda confused... overheat? looks like someone is a DIY kinda person and is making masks out of tooth paste :D

I have seen (not heard of, but witnessed) old divehands hold a mask with the inside down, and put a lit cigarette lighter underneath (a few inches?) to form soot on the lens. They then put toothpaste on their finger and scrub the heck out of the mask. This is supposedly more effective than plain toothpaste for removing plasticizers that have deposited on the glass.

Now, I'm thinking a sonicare toothbrush on the mask :wink:

Edit added:

Yes, only the inside lens need be treated. The outside will be wet. The ostensible reason for scrubbing the lens is to remove plasticizer residues which might act as nucleation sites for fog. Spit or baby shampoo on the lens also inhibits nucleation of fog.

Back
Top Bottom