New dry suits, need new fins !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

We are new to dry suit diving, just got our new suits last week. My wife got the Bare CD4 womens size M with the L boot. Mine is a D6 Pro mens LT with a 2XL boot.

As expected my Blades II(regular) don't fit and her IST's don't fit her boots either. We tried my Blades on her suit and don't fit.

So.... We both need new fins. It seems everyone is hot on Bio fins these days but we can't spend $150.00 on fins. We are not tech divers, but avid recreational divers. I would like to keep the cost per set of fins to around $70.

We would like to go with splits (not trying to start a debate here BTW). I am leaning towards the Aeris Velocity Duo's.

It seems there are many fans also of Scuba Pro Jets and Turtle fins. Is Turtle fins a generic term ? I have found Turtle fins by both IDI and XS Scuba. Someone also recommended the OMS dry suit fin which is a bit more money but looked nice. I know none of these are splits, but considering the popularity of them, there must be something great about them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Check Kidspots site for a list of boot to fin size recomendations. Everyone runs into the same problem going to dry with rock boots. I ended up with the Rockets, which are a good fin. Not quite as good as the Jets, but the Jets wont work with my boots. I tried Turtles but the pocket was much too wide, same with the XXL Jets, the Rockets have a diferent foot pocket that allow a boot to go in all the way. Good luck.

My Bare suite suit has the built in boots. The turtles were the only thing that fit well. Turtles are a jetfin-like fin with a big foot pocket. I think IDI was purchased by XS Scuba. Get spring straps with the fins...worth the extra

Charlie...

On the same subject line... has anyone tried the newer OMS Thrust "Dry Suit" fin? ...in particular with the Bare Trek boot, but really any rock boot style.

I have the Cressi Rondine L-XL fins over a size 8 Bare Trek boot. They fit great, but they're hard to get on and I'd really like to move to spring straps.

Thanks for any input on this one.

With drysuits you will need a bit more power. They have more drag than do wetsuits. Buy some scubapro "jets". They ar the most powerful fins on tha market and also the lowest price and they will fit over your boots. Jets are made up to XXL and if those don't fit go with turtles and if the turtles don't fit your feet are so big you don't need fins

I would recommend trying the bungee strap alternative on kidspot's website before shelling out for spring straps. I think it works great, and wish I had seen it before I got my spring straps.

rhlee:
I would recommend trying the bungee strap alternative on kidspot's website before shelling out for spring straps. I think it works great, and wish I had seen it before I got my spring straps.
robert, i am having the same issue as the above, and am ordering the turttle fins as i can find nothing else to fit my DUI rock boots. are you using the DUI rock boots, i am a size twelve, tell me whats you have found!!!

I'm wearing size 11 rockboots. I use the Turtles and I LOVE them. I'm fairly sure that size 12's would fit ok too. AFAIK, the Turtles only come in one size.

I bought a pair off of ebay that came with spring straps, but with Allison's jets, I put the bungee on them (http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#strap) and it works great.

rhlee:
I'm wearing size 11 rockboots. I use the Turtles and I LOVE them. I'm fairly sure that size 12's would fit ok too. AFAIK, the Turtles only come in one size.

I bought a pair off of ebay that came with spring straps, but with Allison's jets, I put the bungee on them (http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#strap) and it works great.
do the turttles go ALL of the way on the boot?, this is what i was told (that they would)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom