Shortening sprig straps....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
...is there a way to do it? It seems that one of my feet are smaller then the other and the straps are not quite tight enough, would need to take out a 1/2" to 3/4" to make them better.

Any way?

Uncle Pug:
Well, sure. Just cut 1/2" to3/4" off of one end.

It surely cannot be that simple? They don't seem like they can come apart that easy.

They are this type:

Halcyon_Spring_heels_220.jpg
f_jet_fin.jpg

If they are what I think they are then the a couple of coils at the end of the spring have been bent over at 90 degrees and then shoved into the hole in the delrin. Just take them apart and cut off the required amount of spring and using pliers bend a couple of coils (or just copy the original) to make the new 90.

Well I looked at them from closer and it seems that taking it apart might be an issue, more so in putting it back together. The 2 pins on the side of the delrin block seem to be pressed in there, while I cannot tell how the spring is actually wrapped around the post. Taking it apart would be possible, but I am afraid that would be the end of them

The pictures won't load in large size... some kind of error... but what I really want to see is if the pins go all the way through to the other side. If so you could drive them back out with a pin punch. I'll explain once you tell me if they go all the way through.

Actually looking a the pictures on the right I would say just stick a large screw driver in the crack and lever the block open. Then you can do your deed with shortening the springs and to reassemble just tap the pins out enough to close the block and get the pins into the holes. The squeeze the thing together with slip-joint pliers.... carefully seating the pins back down into their holes with the pliers.
channel_lock.jpg

I have uploaded the pics to my album as well ,maybe you can see them there better.

They go right through, but I am not sure if hammered/pushed put once if they will ever be as stiff as before

Back
Top Bottom