First Pair of Force Fins ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Force Fins (Original - Black). Looking forward to trying them out. Must admit that after over 30 years of diving with either open heel or full foot traditional fins these Force Fins do look/feel a bit odd on my feet (at least sitting here in the living room). The most unusual aspect is the freedom to wiggle your toes/forefoot

I plan to wear them with lycra diving socks so I got them sized for "barefoot" wear.

Any tips on the use of my new toys from the Force Fins officianados out there ??

'Slogger

First piece of advice is to stick with them for a reasonable number of dives. If you think they feel odd on dry land just wait until you get into the water with them. I hated them on the first dive, tolerated them on the second and third and then gave up on them for a year (and went back to my Mares fins).

I then got them out again and took them on a weeks live-aboard in the Red Sea and I am now planning to use them all the time having now finally done enough dives in them to work out how to get the best out of them.

Second piece of advice is to watch the video on the Force Fin website that shows the finning technique. This is the best way to get power out of them although I find for normal diving I can get away with most kick styles. If you try to go fast or swim against a current using the tradional long kick you will get the impression that they are inot very good. If you use the kick shown on the video they work very well.

I'm not going to tell you that they are the best fins out there. Like most fins they have advantages and disadvanteges, some of the pros and cons will be specific to you and your diving style. Personally I am now sold on them as being good fins for me and what I want to do.

dougaldiver:
First piece of advice is to stick with them for a reasonable number of dives.
=====================================
Thanks for the feedback. As long as I've been diving I know well enough that it takes time to get used to new gear so I'm gonna give them more than a fair chance.

I will watch the video. That sounds like sound advice.

I do mostly u/w photo when I dive so high speed finning is not my bag. About the only time I need to fin hard is getting back to the ladder at the end of a dive when there's a lot of surface current ...of course then there's always the tag line that I can grab onto and pull myself in.

I'm just tired of all the length in most fins today. I don't need something that's 2 - 3 feet long to get around and enjoy myself.

Something tells me that I'm gonna like these things. Looking forward to the fist time with them in the water. Might sneak over to the pool at the rec center and give them a workout before taking them on a dive trip.

One question for you though ...does it make much difference if the loose end of the heel strap is on the inside or outside of the foot ?? Doesn't seem to be any difference in the fin itself in terms of right/left footedness.

Thanks again for the response and feedback.

'Slogger

No difference on the left or right for the fins. I have the bungee straps on mine and it doesn't really matter if all the excess is on one side or the other. If you have the "conventional" straps then I'm not sure if it makes a difference (although I can't think why it would).

One thing about surface swimming, I have heard that the're not that good for finning face down on the surface. I don't know myself because whenever I swim on the surface for any distance I'm always on my back and they work fine this way.

I find them great for video work and photography, and also for wreck penetration because the fins are so short and easy to manouver in.

Good luck with them

dougaldiver:
No difference on the left or right for the fins. I have the bungee straps on mine and it doesn't really matter if all the excess is on one side or the other.
===================================
Speaking of the bungee heel straps ...I saw them but thought the flat webbing might be more comfortable on the heel, since I'm only going to be wearing lycra dive socks ?? Curious what your experience has been with the bungee straps and if that's something I might want to consider ....easier to get on and off ?? ...comfort ??

Thanks again ....

'Slogger

I've used Force fins for a couple of years, love them. Next time I might not pick the bright yellow, but as they sink I thought yellow would make them easier to find when I lost/dropped them over the side. While originaly trying them out I lost two of them at two different times. The bungy strap cured that problem. Also I didn't feel like they were working very well, so went back to big fins. Got bad cramps and "other" leg problems, so gave the Force another try. When you feel like they aren't working, try and dive with a buddy that is comparable. The difference will make more sense as they only feel like they don't work.

good luck don O

I love the bungee straps (mind you I also had spring straps on my Mares fins). They're dead easy for donning and doffing once you have the adjustment right.

I wear fairly chunky boots because my feet are prone to rubbing and chafing (I have high arches and broad feet) but I don't think the bungee strap would be too uncomfortable. The pad at the back is the bit that's really in contact with your foot.

Just a word of warning. The force fins don't raelly need a strap to keep them on when you're diving. I had my straps a bit loose and on a couple of occasions one of them would slip off my heel and I wouldn't notice until I was back on the boat. That was until I managed to snag the edge of the foot pocket on the side of a Zodiac while climbing in and, with no strap to retain it, the fin slid off my foot and headed for the sea bed. Fortunately it was caught by another diver on the way up but I shortened the bungees immediately afterwards so that they are nice and snug and don't slip off my heels under water.

dougaldiver:
Just a word of warning. The force fins don't raelly need a strap to keep them on when you're diving. I had my straps a bit loose and on a couple of occasions one of them would slip off my heel and I wouldn't notice until I was back on the boat.
=======================
So ...do the standard webbing straps not stay tight on the heel when adjusted ??

My exits are all on ladders where I would have the opportunity to grab the loop on the free end of the webbing strap and pull off the fin. I'm all about the bungee straps if they really make a positive difference but I think I'll try out the standard straps first.

'Slogger

I thoroughly like the force fins. In fact, next to the Rocket (or Jet) fins, they are my favorite. When I was in the Navy, I was issued the Jet fins and I went out and bought the force (pro's) out of pocket because they were very good.

On a side note, I did lose a fin a couple of times. I had to cinch them down so tight it started to hurt my feet so to cure this, I made a connector that went around my ankle similar to a boogie board leash. After that, never had a problem.

dougaldiver:
.....I find them great for video work and photography, and also for wreck penetration because the fins are so short and easy to manouver in.

Good luck with them

Do you find them too flexible ? I shoot video also. I like shorter blades, but find fins that are too flexible difficult for small position adjustments. I just won some Jet fins on Ebay, hopefully I'll like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom