split fins - good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juliac

Reaction score
making my first purchase of fins. want to know if split is better than jet fins. just a recreational diver now but want my purchase be feasible for advanced certifications too. all feedback is wanted. I am a strong swimmer but I don't want to waste my energy kicking.

If you do a search, I think you'll come up with quite a few threads talking about this.

The key is to define your terms: What is "better"?

In my experience, splits are less work to use. They were sold to me as likely to minimize the occurrence of cramps, and I in fact never got cramps using them. Of course, as it turns out, I rarely get them with my Jets, either . . . Jets are stiffer and initially feel like more work, but I think most people would agree that it is easier to do the precise maneuvering kicks (frog, modified frog, back kick, helicopter turns) with a stiffer fin.

There are actually some amusing comparison tests that convinced me that there is little overall difference in how fast you can go or how much air you use doing it.

I would say that fin preference can be get very subjective. I do lots of frog kick prior to even using the Jets. I am totally hooked to it. I miss it alot whenever I go back to the old fins once in a while.

I tried splits many time and have to say I don't like it at all. Others will have other difference comments about their preference between Jets and splits. Again, personal preference.

juliac:
making my first purchase of fins. want to know if split is better than jet fins. just a recreational diver now but want my purchase be feasible for advanced certifications too. all feedback is wanted. I am a strong swimmer but I don't want to waste my energy kicking.

When I took my OW course I used the paddle fins and hated them. For my OW dives the shop let me try splits though and they just felt much more comfortable in every possible way. I ended up buying a pair of the TUSA X-pert zoom split fins and thought they were the best for a while. They were comfortable on my feet, fast and effortless. I still think they are the best for flutter kicking. Some people complained about them in currents, but I think that's due to lack of proper technique. However, that was all with the flutter kick, which was the only kick I was taught in my open water class. I did notice that they weren't the most maneuverable fins though.

Then I learned about the frogkick, backwards kick, helicopter turn, etc. See this page for demonstrations of those kicks: http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm

I also realized that my splits weren't good for those kicks (I tried), and I don't need speed of split fins as I prefer to dive slowly. I ended up selling them and buying a pair of used Scubapro Jet fins (regular, not splits) off ebay for about $40 shipped, and later added spring straps to them.

The foot pocket for this fin sucks, but you get used to it. Other than that they rock and I can do the type of finnng I want now; I use the frogkick or modified frog as my normal kick, but often deploy the backwards kick and helicopter turn which has been great for my photography and generally have really increased my maneuverability. These fins are also heavy, which for me is a plus because it gives you better trim control. I could not recommend any other fin in good consciousness anymore.

Just my $.02

Scroll to the bottom or do a search. Lots of threads on this subject. You can also look here. One of the members here, Larry/Scubatoys, has a cute little comparison written up. Basically, both types of fins have their advantages and disadvantages. I used splits for about a year. Now I used Jets and Mares, depending on the type of diving I'm doing.

I've never used splits but I see them more and more. Was on a liveaboard in March and I would guess that the ratio was about 1/3 splits with the rest being divided up into open heel solid blades and full foot fins. By the way ...THAT's where I am starting to see the numbers really change in terms of tropical diving - - the Full Foot Fins.

The one characteristic of fins that seems to be a bit out of control is blade length. If you're free diving or trying to swim fast and long distances with nice clean scissors strokes those humongously long blades might be an asset. Otherwise they just get in the way. If you're going to do any photography I would tell you that the long blade fins, whether splits or solids, would not end up working very well for you.

Been diving for over 30 years and went from USD Otaries (full foot) to Rockets and then to Mares Power Planas. I eventually went back to my Rockets. Recently I purchased a set of the Force Fins, which to me are sort of a hybrid design. They have flare tipped edges that act a bit like a split design but are shorter like the Jet or Rocket fins. Vote is still out on the Force Fins for me but I'm thinking that is where I am headed next.

'Slogger

that's just it...he does not know yet because he hasn't bought them yet.

I vote for jetfins. In my opinion, a jetfin will do what a split will do, but a split won't do what a jet will do. I find splits like being in too high of a gear on your bike.

*Floater*:
When I took my OW course I used the paddle fins and hated them. For my OW dives the shop let me try splits though and they just felt much more comfortable in every possible way. I ended up buying a pair of the TUSA X-pert zoom split fins and thought they were the best for a while. They were comfortable on my feet, fast and effortless. I still think they are the best for flutter kicking. Some people complained about them in currents, but I think that's due to lack of proper technique. However, that was all with the flutter kick, which was the only kick I was taught in my open water class. I did notice that they weren't the most maneuverable fins though.

Then I learned about the frogkick, backwards kick, helicopter turn, etc. See this page for demonstrations of those kicks: http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm

I also realized that my splits weren't good for those kicks (I tried), and I don't need speed of split fins as I prefer to dive slowly. I ended up selling them and buying a pair of used Scubapro Jet fins (regular, not splits) off ebay for about $40 shipped, and later added spring straps to them.

The foot pocket for this fin sucks, but you get used to it. Other than that they rock and I can do the type of finnng I want now; I use the frogkick or modified frog as my normal kick, but often deploy the backwards kick and helicopter turn which has been great for my photography and generally have really increased my maneuverability. These fins are also heavy, which for me is a plus because it gives you better trim control. I could not recommend any other fin in good consciousness anymore.

Just my $.02
What he said.

catherine96821:
that's just it...he does not know yet because he hasn't bought them yet.

I vote for jetfins. In my opinion, a jetfin will do what a split will do, but a split won't do what a jet will do. I find splits like being in too high of a gear on your bike.

I understand, and pardon me for being so short winded.

Often our buy decisions are influenced by what we think others feel is good.

Here is a great thread that was done by a DM in Boynton Beach, FL. He really put a lot of effort into it. I hope it helps you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=64345&highlight=jet+fins+vs+split

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom