Thinking about getting Mares Quattro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gryz

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a lurker for some time now, but now have a question.

I am looking for a new pair of fins and have read great reviews on the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro...BUT I hear the strap is prone to breaking or coming off. I just wanted to know what the chances are of this happening.

I would like to keep the fins under $100, and am still not sure if I would like split fins or not. I also do not live by a dive shop or a place where I could test out different fins.
So suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated.

Grysinski:
I've been a lurker for some time now, but now have a question.

I am looking for a new pair of fins and have read great reviews on the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro...BUT I hear the strap is prone to breaking or coming off. I just wanted to know what the chances are of this happening.

I would like to keep the fins under $100, and am still not sure if I would like split fins or not. I also do not live by a dive shop or a place where I could test out different fins.
So suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated.

I love my Quattros. I've been diving them for several years now, and have never had a problem. I just recently upgraded to spring straps, so I'm looking forward to several more years to come...

I too like mine. I also have a pair of Tusa Zooms and there isnt anything zoomie about them.

So you would say that the pro's outweigh the con's for this fin?

My other choice is the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex fins....any reviews on those?

Grysinski:
So you would say that the pro's outweigh the con's for this fin?

Most definitely, especially if you let Wayward Son make you a set of spring straps for them.

My husband has the Quattros and adores them! He thinks they are the most comfortable fin he's ever used. I would have bought them as well, but they don't come in a small enough size for me (bummer).

Thank you all.

I am sorry for changing the subject fin, but after reading I see that the Scuba Pro Twin Jets are VERY highly praised. And am now in between these and the Quattros.

Twin Jets are good fins, but at twice the price, I'm not sure they're that good. They're going to be waaay over your $100 starting point....

I think I know about the flimsy buckles. They have this mechanism on it that can extend the strap. It is a sort of quick release. I really am not a fan of it because it is not needed. You already have the regular quick release.

The avantix3 does not have a lock on it. The quattro does. This is another thing I do not like. If you force it when it is locked you could break it.

It is agreat fin so go for it but the buckles are a bit more complicated than necessary. Change them to springs if you have the time money and inclination.

Back
Top Bottom