Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langs15

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering about the different kinds of masks. I am not sure if I am going to get the perscription ones, as I don't know if in wreck diving it will make my life easiser, i can still see but not that well as I can't read distance but still see shapes and get the idea of everything. I was thinking about dacor or mares masks. My father who was the scuba diver in my family, and my mom who ocassionaly dived, and I all used dacor masks, my dad bought them. I love these masks but if there is something better out there, would like to check it out. I don't like the fancy stuff either, jsut a plain blue/clear or black/clear mask will due just fine! Thanks!

Fit is the most important thing in a mask, a leaky mask just sucks. Don't worry too much about the brand, plenty of good ones out there, just go to a few dive shops and try masks on until you find the one that fits best. It's not clear if you're certified yet? If you don't know how to fit a mask, you can ask for help at the shop or read lots of posts about it here if you search.

You can also search and find out lots of info about prescription masks, there are different ways of doing it. One of them is simply to buy a mask which has replacement lenses available, you can just buy the correct diopter and put them in. So that is possibly something else you will want to look for in a mask.

I didn't know so many ways to get mask perscriptions, I may look into that. I know how to fit a mask, but will certanly ask the shop if I have any questions. I am not certified, yet anyways. but pretty soon i will be :)!!

I was looking at certain brands, because I link the reputation of them. It's like a mercedez and a lexus, both top of the line cars, but say you have heard better about Lexus, that's where you go usually.

Brand is secondary to fit and overall construction. I would say a low volume single or double window with black silicone is a good choice. Easier to clear, less glare, and the silicone does not yellow.

Go check out the new Atomic Mask. You can locate a dealer near you at www.atomicaquatics.com. You will not be sorry! This mask rocks!

Chad B

langs15:
I was looking at certain brands, because I link the reputation of them. It's like a mercedez and a lexus, both top of the line cars, but say you have heard better about Lexus, that's where you go usually.
Well, Dacor isn't really known as a top brand for anything anymore (if they ever were.) By all means buy a Dacor mask if that's what fits you best, nothing wrong with their masks or any major brand of dive mask for that matter, just don't buy one because you think Dacor is the scuba equivalent of Lexus...

last mask i bought was a dacor with a purge valve,love it,no leaks wished i had bought two.30 dollars new on ebay

High volume masks are more buoyant and try to ride up, the nose stops the rideup but eventually starts to hurt.

Spearfishing guys use a black mask to stop extra light from coming in and reducing contrast.

I have a wide face and find the tusa visulator comfortable. This mask is sold under various names. Leisurepro has the generic version for less than half the price I paid for my first one.

"Prescription masks" can be had without a prescription. They are available for both the nearsighted and farsighted. Snorkel Mart has two kinds for $60 and $80. Scubatoys has a different kind for $90. The Scubatoys kind is sold by others too, for more money. If you have eye spacing that is about 'average' and don't have much astigmatism then the ready made corrective masks will work well, if they fit. You tell em what you want in diopters and they just snap in the lenses. These masks are two window masks. Real prescription masks are available for more money.

The dive equipment makers don't actually make masks. They just order them with their name painted on the mask. No need to pay $99 for the same mask that sells for $34 as a no name generic.

Fit is the biggie. I dove for a couple years with a mask that leaked a small but steady stream of water across one eye ball. I had several others but none fit well. Then I got the Visulator, when somebody's tank fell on it and broke it I started getting the generic versions. They are just fine.

I have a Black/Black Sea Sports Mask, it's the Oceanic Shadow basically. Got it for $25 new, I love it. Personally I stick with frameless black on black. Not sure if it works with percriptions though (I had PRK :D :D ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom