split fins for rock boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a specific gear fit question that someone might have experience with: I have fairly large feet (US shoe size 13 or 14) and wide. When I switched to diving a dry suit I got the Bare TrekBoots in their largest size (US 12, or 3XL). The boots fit great, but the hard soles were so wide they wouldn't fit my previous fins. I needed to get something like turtle fins, or SP jets XXL (in fact I got a pair of OMS Thrust fins in the largest size and they fight just fine). But I'm interested in changing to a split fin design, and I'm wondering if there are any available with a foot pocket WIDE enough to fit my 3XL TrekBoots? The only other thread I found on this question is here...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=30426

But I don't have an LDS so I don't really have a chance to try on fins-- does anyone happen to know if these recommendations (the Atomic Split Fins or the Oceanic V12) or any other splits would specifically fit my boots?

I think this has come up before, but I don't recall the outcome. More searching might help. I have a vague feeling that the apollos don't come large enough, but I could easily be remembering wrong.

That said, I think your best bet might be the ScubaPro splits. (Twin Jets). I think they come in sizes large enough to handle it. A quick phone call to ScubaPro could also solve the mystery... ditto for Bare, for that matter.

Well, I just sent off an email to Bare asking them which (if any) split fins can fit their 3XL TrekBoots (there is no phone # listed on their website). I'll let you know what they say....

Twin Jets are a little too floppy for my taste (I don't know if they come big enough anyway, but I have some smaller-footed dive buddies who use them)...I'd prefer one of the stiffer splits. I tried out a Tusa X-pert Zoom that feels pretty good, but the foot pocket is too narrow for the TrekBoots. If anyone has some personal experience in sizing these boots for splits I'd appreciate the comments!

Just got an email back from Bare Customer Service-- only one hour turnaround! Unfortunately they were more speedy than helpful. They wrote:

"I do not know what size split fins for you to order. You will have to call around to different dive stores to see what they say.
Sorry we could not be of more help."

So....anyone?

beezwax:
...SNIP...

But I don't have an LDS so I don't really have a chance to try on fins-- does anyone happen to know if these recommendations (the Atomic Split Fins or the Oceanic V12) or any other splits would specifically fit my boots?

No specific experience with YOUR boots, but...

I just got the PADI drysuit cert through my LDS and had the DUI rockboots, size 11, so I have some recent experience...

I use the Oceanic V12 fins (love em), and in size XL. I would venture to say there is PLENTY of width in there for a size 13. The foot pockets on these fins are very wide, and can actually be an issue for those simply using booties because of this. I often wrestle my sons for their size medium when warm water diving in booties because I prefer a snug fit.

There's not much of a difference in width between a size 11 and size 13, so I would give them a try. LeisurePro has them for $119.95, and since you can't get to a LDS, you can easily return them if not happy.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom