Open heel or full fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJamie71

Reaction score
Hey there, I need your opinion, which would be better on comfort and performance- open heel fins or full foot fins? I like to buy a snorkeling package but just can't to find a good reasonable at a good price without killing my wallet. any suggestions? Thanks

Jamie

Open heel with booties!

Sooner than latter you will want the thermal protection of the booties.

Sooner than later you will want the foot protection as you walk into dive sites.

I'm fond of our Aeris Velocity fins. $54 in open heel at Leisure pro, a bit more to be fitted at the LDS. They are a paddle fin with some attributes of splits. Booties should be in the #30. dollar range

Spring straps are a nice addition but that can wait.

Pete

Sounds like you will only do snorkeling, are you? You will be fine with just full foot fins package. But if you are planning to be a scuba diver then you will be better off with open heel fins package.

ScubaJamie71:
Hey there, I need your opinion, which would be better on comfort and performance- open heel fins or full foot fins? I like to buy a snorkeling package but just can't to find a good reasonable at a good price without killing my wallet. any suggestions? Thanks

Jamie

I use both... full and open.

I have a long set of Rondine Ls that are VERY long and full foot. I use them for undersea hunting. Very fast, and very powerfull. I wear a pair of regular socks when I use them

My buddy-friendly Cressi's are not as long and open. I wear boots with those.

I haven't found good or bad differences when using either set... It's all in preference/price
===

Suggestions: If you look at the features for fins, or ask the LDS they can explain the differences. I have some of the more expensive sets (both). The Rondines are 22 years old and the Cressi's are 8 years old. I have been told that a "lesser" setup would not have lasted this long. Both sets look fairly new, but I do not kick things with them (other than the occasional buddy)

Full foots would limit you to only tropical diving. All the DMs in Cozmel wear them, even in January when they are wearing full suits and hoods. Another disadvantage is shore diving entries on hard surfaces. They don't fit any better than a good open heel fin, particularly one with a spring strap. They also have a potential of creating painful blisters on your feet. Most people would recommend a open heel fin and booties. I like short booties for tropical diving and snorkeling.

I had a full foot in Roatan, shore dive .. chunk of coral in fin, sand too ... ouch
Wearing booties and open heel next time

D_B:
I had a full foot in Roatan, shore dive .. chunk of coral in fin, sand too ... ouch
Wearing booties and full foots next time

If you did mean full foots... I recommend Sea Socks.... basically booties without the rubber sole

I have both multiple pairs of both fullfoot and heelstrap fins

I would recommend both actually....in the sommer its nice to slip on the thin wetsuit and put on a pair of fullfoots and feel the freedom.

But generaly heelstraps are more allaround i think.

my advice is on using fullfoots to buy a pair of 1,5-2mm Neopren socks to use, remeber to buy them so they have a "fit" size, not to loose. such socks gives some isolation to the feets but also feels more comfortable then against the rubber of the fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom