Jet Fin foot pockets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I finally get my Jet Fins that I won off Ebay.

Now I see what people have been talking about with the foot pocket. The foot pocket on most fins extends on the bottom to support your foot. Not so with the Jets.

I found this picture in the archives.

attachment.php

I guess this is why people recommend hard sole boots. Problem is hard sole boots are bigger and won't fit the foot pocket. Damn, wish I had researched a little more.

Someone on the board recommended getting shoe arch supports to use with soft sole boots. I have to admit, the arch supports make my soft sole boots a whole lot more comfortable. It's a tight fit, but I can get them into the Jets. The rubber foot pocket stretches so it feels very connected, almost like full foot fins.

Now all I have to do is wait until my trip in June.

You can find booties with relatively stiff soles that are not super thick. I have the USD Rockets, which have the large foot pocket and allow about half of my foot to extend beyond the edge of the rubber. Look at some of the 2 - 3 MM style booties with hard outsoles and I think you'll find some that will work.

I just went the other direction. Bought a set of Force Fins and got them sized to wear barefoot. In this case almost the entire foot fits into the pocket but I still needed something to cover my feet. Located the Henderson Lycra Dive Socks and it looks like the solution.

'Slogger

OzeDiver:
still waiting for mine to come from ebay also. what is the problem with using soft-soled boots?

Some people use Jets barefoot, some with soft sole boots, but some people complain about pain in their arches when 1st using Jets. I can see that happening since the bottom of the foot pocket ends right at the arch. When you are finning, the leverage against your foot will be at that spot. Take a look at the picture in my post.

I think a hard sole boot will help distribute that leverage across your whole foot.

None of the hard sole boots I tried fit in the foot pocket, so I put arch supports into my soft sole boots. Hopefully the hard plastic of the arch support will act similar to a hard sole boot. At a minimum, they make my soft sole boots real comfortable.

What is your shoe size Ronrosa?

And what size of Scubapro Jetfin did you buy?

ocrmaster:
What is your shoe size Ronrosa?

And what size of Scubapro Jetfin did you buy?

Mens 7-8, medium.

I had some problems with the jet foot pockets at first as well, but you get used to them. In my case I also had the spring straps too tight initially. By the way, large jets might be better for most boots in the men's 7-8 size, the large jet foot pocket is not that much bigger than the medium.

*Floater*:
I had some problems with the jet foot pockets at first as well, but you get used to them. In my case I also had the spring straps too tight initially. By the way, large jets might be better for most boots in the men's 7-8 size, the large jet foot pocket is not that much bigger than the medium.

Yeah, a large would probably fit me better.

I think the rubber foot pocket is a plus and a minus. Being made of rubber, my boot doesn't just slide in effortlessly like it would if the pocket was made of plastic. But, since the foot pocket is rubber and stretches, it has a nice snug connected fit.

Jet fins, Rocket fins and UDT/Duck Feet fins all have the reputation for having uncomfortable foot pockets. That is what I have noticed too.

My Twin Jets are much more comfortable.

How far should a boot fit in the pocket? I have Seasoft Stealth boots in 8/fins in M and the fit seems fine except they're about an 1-1 1/2 from the toe to the end of the pocket. They hit the top of my foot/arch about the same as in the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom