Force Fins???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverSurfer7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, whats the deal with Force Fins? Are they worth the money? I have heard that they don't feel the same as a traditional fin. So much so, that there is a learning curve associated with using them. Anyone have any experience with these fin?

Search! This has been covered countless times. I like my Force Fin Excellerator model, but they are stiffer and feel more like a traditional fin than the regular Force Fins. Not too fond of the original Force Fins, although I have an old pair. The Excellerator has plenty of power and comfort. With my feet I like the open toe foot pocket and the fact the blades are narrower than regular Force Fins. The kick takes some adjustment, but it is a personal decision. You gotta try them out to decide. They feel like you are not wearing fins, (although the Excellerator is an exception to some degree) but you get around pretty well once you get the technique. Then again some people hate them. I have had jet fins, other split fins and these are my favorite now, although I want to try that new Mor-Fin that got a high rating in Scuba Diving Magazine's test. The Mor-Fin manufacturer is only about 30 miles from me, so I may try to get him to loan me some to test if I pick them up.

Force fins violate Rule No. 6.

I'm in the "love my force fins" camp. The kick is different, more of bicycling movement with the thrust coming form from the knee rather than the hip. This seems to decrease or eliminate leg cramps for most users. A lot of my diving involves long surface swims' 500-700 kicks or more, which I do on my back. I usually have to slow down for buddies with other fins.

I am a firm fan of Force Fins as well, but try bicycle kicking in them – you will get about as far as you would with any fins. Force Fins work on the downstroke, there is hardly any power in the upstroke, so it is all in the knee.

When I dive, I am horizontal in the water and to kick, I bend my knee 90° and then straighten it down, and this provides plenty of thrust. About as far from a bicycle kick as you can get...

Each to their own, but I love 'em!

Mark

MarkUK:
but try bicycle kicking in them – you will get about as far as you would with any fins.

I agree. people often describe the Force Fin kick as a bicycle kick but I maintain that a short flutter kick bending at the Knee is the best kick to get power.

You can use them with a conventional flutter kick (i.e long kicks using the whole leg) but they are less efficient this way.

I also find you can frog kick in them as well. I can't get as much powere using a frog kick as I would with say a pair of Quatros but inside a wreck or over a silty bottom it works fine.

I will also say that they take some getting used to to get the best from them.

Back
Top Bottom