Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone use one of these full face masks that come up on ebay all the time?

I was curious what you think of it, other than it looks like something from an s&m shop or it should be worn by a Mexican wrestling star. :)

Marc

That particular design has been around for a long time, almost 40 years.
The only time I use them is for long hookah dives, 8-12 hours or so. (commercial bug diving in the Keys)
If you keep the mouthpiece on the reg you'll eliminate the co2 buildup problems normally associated with that mask design.
I have several other FFMs that are better suited for other types of diving, that particular design just happens to be the cheapest & most light weight of them.
For casual use, you'll want the silicone. For heavier use, go with the rubber ones. The rubber handles abuse much better, though is more likely to suffer from UV degredation.

What kind of use did you have in mind for it?

i havent used the mask shown, however i have used some FFM alot in the past. The model you show apppears to allow the use of almost any 2nd stage. Compared to the EXO or Aga which both have there own 2nd stages, and are rather expensive. If its possible to try a few out i would highly reccomend it, chose one thats comfortable, and as simple as possilbe. Ie the Aga is comfortable but its too damn complex and has too many parts, the EXO is less complex but didnt fit me at all, the scubapro was about the same as the EXO. I use the Aga but i wouldnt go that route had i known it was so complex, I like the KISS approach to my scuba gear. Most importantly, try before you buy.

Andy

Bob3 once bubbled...
What kind of use did you have in mind for it?

Thanks for the report.

I was talking to a friend who's an assistant pro at a local golf course here. When I told him I was diving, he asked if I'd be interested in diving the ponds for balls.

Semi-intrigued by the idea, I've started looking into what I'd need to do it. Looking at the ponds though, they look pretty gross and full of duck poop and lord knows what else - not to mention the possibilty of gators. :)

So in addition to a hood, I was looking at some way to minimize contact with the water. I know that the only totally safe way would be use a dry suit, which I do not own.

I think this idea will not come to fruition.

Marc

I've been in quite a few water hazards, the use of a drysuit should be considered mandatory. All the extra nutrients from runoff (lotsa fertilizer) can grow an awful irritating crop of plant & animal life, not to mention the chemicals themselves.

How come no drysuit yet? Think of it, you can write it off for your golf ball retrival business. :wink:

Bob3 once bubbled...
How come no drysuit yet?

Your friendly Viking & Northern Diver drysuit dealer.

I was going to reply that other than my shorty and 3mm, I don't need one down here in Florida. Then I caught your signature line. :)

Marc :jester:

Hey!!! I've got one of those masks for sale on Ebay right now...I bought it new, tried it once, didn't like it, now I'm selling it...nothing wrong with it, just not for me....want to trade me something for it??? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom