Snorkel Fins For Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After reading Rodale's fin test where a few snorkel fins outperformed even the best of adjustable fins, I decided to try some.

None of the three tested fins were available in Houston, so I found some Tusa Reef Tourer fins for $30. These are similar to the Oceanic Caribe. Note that fins that appear to be identical to the Reef Tourer are sold under other names around the world.

The Reef Tourers provided better than average propulsion at low to moderate speeds. Foot comfort was excellent and I experienced no cramps. No timed tests were done. Performance in a current was not very good. I could make headway, but it seemed more difficult than my old Aqualung Blades I adjustable fins.

Unfortunately the blue polymer blade of the fin quickly (fewer than 10 dives) developed white spots just ahead of the foot pocket, a likely indicator that the material was breaking down. There were stress cracks on the surface of the fin as well. Another diver was using a silver pair of these fins (with a different brand name) and his quickly developed the white areas.

I have since retired these fins. Good thing they cost only $30.

Since I have done nothing but warm water dives...and not that many...I've just been using the fins I've used for snorkeling (full footed) I've had them for a few years and they show zero signs of wear and tare. And they work just as good as the strap fins I have.

Amber

Made in Spain by a company called Seamless, I've had a pair of their short, wide floppy fins since 1965 and still use them. I take good care of them, and use armor all to protect them when out of water.
As soon as water around here warms up I'be wearing them. (full footed).

So: Why does PADI require open fins and booties?

I used a pair of the Aqua Lung Stratos full foot fins for snorkeling and the surface rescue work I do. They are modelled after the Blades fins. These things worked great, no cramping, excellent foot comfort and great propulsion. If there was any warm water diving in Michigan, I would use those all the time.

So: Why does PADI require open fins and booties?

They don't. I did my classes with full footed fins. Maybe they only require it in colder water??

but it may have been the lds - said insurance required booties and open fins. i assumed it was a 5-star requirement. i would much rather have used my old nemrod (not btw, "nimrod" like i said earlier) cortez fins.

i'm not whining, he sold me a new pair of tusa liberator Xs for 50 bucks, a good price, but my old wide and floppy rubber nemrods are far easier to use for my short-stroke, high rpm style. i would have rather used them in the class.

the tusas work fine and have really great strap adjusters but they're big jose fins and when i kick them, i can feel the water kicking back!

one last note on the lds - every time i buy something online or used, it seems the lds had it on sale cheaper. i don't go OL any more without checking the lds out first.

I've been using US Divers Pacifica fins for 5 years. They were a gift from my aunt after I finished my OW class -- she couldn't care less wether they were snorkelling or dive fins. I've gotten myself some TUSA Imprexes since then, but I find myself using the pacifica most of the time. They're easy to fin in, though I do have to exert more effort in a current. But I dive mainly in calm water, so I like the comfort the pacifica gives me.

It doesn't seem to me that a comparisson between full foot fins and open heeled fins makes much sense. I doubt there are any full foot fins that will fit over my dry suit boots. How about comparing the abitilty of the full foot fin to protect your foot during entry and exit compared to a wet suit boot? IMO, Rodales needs to hire some divers.

The only equipment requirement my insurance company has is that I comply with agency standards. As far as I know no agency gives a hoot.

I strongly recommend students wear boots because the places we dive aren't good places to run around barefoot. I also know someone who cut their foot up pretty good on a boat ladder. Besides it's almost always too cold for full foot fins at depth around here.

Mike,

Full foot fins are actually quite popular outside of the US. Many people use them with 2 or 3 mil neoprene socks which extend the temperature range considerably and provide some foot protection.

I have seen some divers cut their hands on ladders, yet few wear gloves in warm water. In fact gloves are often forbidden in warm water locations. In other words, I can not see any reason for someone who boat dives or shore dives from sandy beaches to not use full foot fins. They are much more comfortable than adjustables and generally are more efficient. A heck of a lot of warm water divemasters use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom