Recommendations for a good starter Mask/Snorkel/fin kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krtismo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm not an experienced diver, but I do a lot of snorkeling while on vacation and even more here in the lakes and rivers in Michigan, and I'm sick of my cheap gear breaking all the time.

I'm looking for mask, snorkel, and fins in the 50-150 dollar range. I've done some research, but figured I should ask some experts. If you could recommend some sites to shop on that would be great too.

I do plan to work my way into scuba eventually, but for now its kind of an expensive hobby considering its seasonal for me.

Thanks for the help!

-Kurt

A good Mask is all about fit. Other important considerations are volume, and field of vision. I use the Atomic Frameless mask, and it runs din the $90 range, and on the expensive side as masks go. I would highly recommend the Mares XVision mask which can be purchase for in the $45 range online new.

Fins are a very personal choice, and they can get expensive. Most good split fins are going to run from $100~200. Most good Open Heel fins are going to run $70~150. There are a LOT of threads about fins here on the board, and I'd spend some time reading through some of those.

For snorkels, I don't really use one much, and the one I do use is just a tube with a purge valve on the end. Some love Dry snorkels, and I think if I was doing a lot of snorkeling, I'd try one of those. They run from $15~50 online for various snorkels.

I'd talk to Joe and Larry at Scubatoys. If you tell them you are on SB, they knock 10%, and they will be happy to work with you on sizing, even sending you more than one mask I believe. But work with them on their return/sizing policies.

Other online stores include Leisurepro, scuba.com, DiversDirect.. the list goes on.

Kurt -

Sounds to me like you need some open heel fins and other decent gear. Snorkeling in colder temps does have an effect on gear.

I've had excellent service from my friends Joe and Larry at Scuba Toys. Heres the link to their personal package page: Personal Gear Snorkeling and Scuba Diving Packages of dive equipment- Mask, Snorkel, Fins and Booties. At the top of the page, they state if you don't find anything you like, give them a call and they'll help you out. Just tell them what type of diver you are and your budget, and you'll get a quality package, no doubt in my mind. They are probably the most pleasant people I have talked to while ordering anything over the phone. I do business with them constantly. Also, I'm pretty sure that you get 10% off for being a Scuba Board member. Best of luck!

Masks - I go to the dive shops in my area and try on different masks to get the most comfortable fit and best view. Tilos ~$40 DiveSports I gently push the mask to my face if there is a small suction then it fits me. Then check the online prices.

Snorkel - Obviously it should be low profile not get in your way, it should be comfortable, it should be easy to clear and minimize the swallowing of salt water. I like flex, but many snorkelers like the rigid J-tube. My favorite is the Tusa Imprex Semidry ~$30 from SCUBAToys. It has a smaller mouthpiece that does not irritate my mouth or gums, a low profile, an is easy to use.

Fins are the same. try it out at different dive shops. I got the Bio Fins Uni full foot pocket less than ~$50 on sale at Leisurepro. Watch out they are sized large; they do not fit my bare feet, but I use a sock or light booties. I would have to order a size smaller than usual.

Warning do not order from the internet without first trying it out. These are just suggestions that are comfortable and high performance for me. What works for another can be completely different. I would not buy a snorkeling package because it is not custom.

Masks - I go to the dive shops in my area and try on different masks to get the most comfortable fit and best view. Tilos ~$40 I gently push the mask to my face if there is a small suction then it fits me. Then check the online prices usually at LeisurePro.

So you recommend he goes to the LDS to figure out what he needs, and then shop online? I don't buy a lot from the LDS, but I don't abuse them by using their stock, facilities, and personal, and then taking my business elsewhere.

ScubaToys and LP both have fit guarantees.

I'd not suggest a full foot pocket fin for the cold waters of Michagan. I'd go with an open heel find, and booties. This provides two advantages, some foot warmth, and the ability to walk across rocks, sticks, gravel, whatever without bare feet.

Disclaimer: Fit is very important and should be determined prior to purchase.... :D

I wanted bigger field of view and I picked up a Wintech Model 106 at my LDS for $35. It appears to be identical to the Tusa Visualator which sells for $60 (see second pic).

Wintech Model 106
ccccccc.JPG

Tusa Visualator
M_14.jpg

Wintech says the Model 106 "Fits large to extra large faces", but it fits my average-sized face fine. It's worth checking out, IMHO, if you don't mind large volume. You can see it on my mug if you open my Profile. Great field of view!

I've used mine for hundreds of dives with no sign of wear or tear. I like it a lot. Mine has the black skirt which virtually eliminates reflection, which can be pretty important near the surface.

Link to Wintech's page for this mask:
Wintech Scuba Product List

Wintech's Snorkelling page:
Wintech Snorkeling

Fins: I use Mares Plana Avanti Quattros which are selling for $80 at my LDS now (on sale). The Mares Plana Avanti's are about $45 and are very similar.

I've only done a little snorkelling in my Quattros but they seem to work adequately on the surface and excellent when fully submerged. The Avantis are essentially the same fin with fewer rubber channels. Very durable fins. Flexible enough to reduce the chance of leg cramps. Full foot is available, if you prefer.

Mares Plana Avanti (not the Quattro):
71.jpg

Selling online for $40 from numerous vendors.

Snorkels: You're a better judge here. It's not hard to find a suitable snorkel for under $30.

I like the flexible corrugated end, soft mouthpiece and purge of the Tusa Imprex.

tbts30.jpg

$15 at LeisurePro:
Tusa Imprex Snorkel (SP-300Q) from LeisurePro.com

$35 Wintech 106
$45 Mares Plana Avantis
$30 Snorkel to suit you

Total = $110

All through your LDS if you're lucky like me to have a great LDS! :)

Dave C

So....go for quality and you won't be disappointed. I am a huge Atomic Aquatics fan so I'm gonna say you should look into spending a little more and check out the Sub Frame mask or even the Frameless. Atomic also came out with a new snorkel recently which I hear is pretty incredible. If you're looking into staying within budget, choose one piece of equipment to go all out on. When the cheaper stuff breaks, you simply buy better the next time and don't have to start completely over.

So you recommend he goes to the LDS to figure out what he needs, and then shop online? I don't buy a lot from the LDS, but I don't abuse them by using their stock, facilities, and personal, and then taking my business elsewhere.

ScubaToys and LP both have fit guarantees.

I'd not suggest a full foot pocket fin for the cold waters of Michigan. I'd go with an open heel find, and booties. This provides two advantages, some foot warmth, and the ability to walk across rocks, sticks, gravel, whatever without bare feet.

I suggest to try before buying especially from the internet. I do not advise guessing and buying from the internet unless there is no source in ones area. Even with the try and return policy it is better to try out 20 different masks at 3 different stores before making a decision as to what is best for comfort and performance. Where one researches or purchases is ones own business. RonFrank seems to consider researching to determine the best equipment for comfort and performance then checking prices as LDS abuse which is not on topic. Using ST to research and taking up Joe and Larry's time with questions, but checking prices elsewhere would not be considered ST dive shop abuse by Joe and Larry. At ST they are more than happy to meet a customer's needs.

Thanks for all the help, I'm considering the "X-Pert Zoom Dive Package"

Personal Gear Snorkeling and Scuba Diving Packages of dive equipment- Mask, Snorkel, Fins and Booties

But the mask seems a little cheap and the fins seem a bit too expensive. Any recommendations for replacements.

Kurt, I would replace those fins with the Tusa Liberator Fins (yellow so buddies can see you), and the mask with the Diveright frameless. Frameless masks usually fit more faces. How does that sound?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom