Best fins for foot cramp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sentic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, i often suffer with cramp in the bottum of my foot and also in my toes while scuba diving or swimming. i'm getting to a stage now where i would like to buy equipment that will suit me while i am scuba diving and i would now like to replace my old blades for a new design of fin. the instructor recommended me to buy a split fin to releave fatigue on my feet and toes and also it was improve my propoltion which would also make my air consumption even better than it already is.
i would like to spend 150euros on a pair of fins which will last and more importently make my diving exsperience more comfortable. I'm open to all suggestions, blades, splits, small or long and even pink ones!! (i used to wear pink booties before i replaced them last week!) lol

Thanks very much!
Adam aka Sentic

Last edited:
It's been my experience that the most important thing in preventing cramps in the feet is fins that fit properly. If they're too narrow in the foot pocket, I'll cramp, and if they're too loose, I'll cramp. But a well-fitted fin that doesn't move much on my feet, of whatever design, won't cause cramping.

The foot pockets do seem a little too loose i think.... but the new booties i brough after my last dive are a little more bigger then the onces i had before and less tight on my foot so they might fit the fins better, how ever i am still mind set on a new style of fin with less water resistance

Sentic,

What is causing your cramps, most likely, is that the fins you are wearing extend off the end of your toes. This makes you hold your toe pointed as you kick up and down. When you hold your toe pointed, you are contracting the muscles in your toes, arches, ankles and calves. Whenever you hold your muscles contracted as you exercise - kick - you will cramp.

A fin with less load, such as your instructor recommends will alleviate some of this, but only a fin that lets your foot point and flex, like when you are walking, with each kick will do away with the cause of your cramping.

Force Fins, which we make, fit over the top of your foot, your toes are free. With each kick your foot points and flexes. That eliminates the cause of cramping. Force Fin and The Truth About Dive Fins for more information.

+3 or +4 or whatever we are at for Force Fins. It looks like Susanne has hit why. cramping is a by-product of poor designs and just doesn't exist with Force Fins.

If you want Pink the Originals are available, but I prefer the Pro's (in yellow for visibility). They should be under 150EUR, but I am not sure about the pricing in Spain.

Thanks everybody for the recommendation! i like the concept of force fins i think it is the perfect design and i am certen looking at the physiology will prevent the cramp in the arches of my feet.

I'm looking at the Force fin pros but i think i will go for the black, rather than the pink ones that would of matched my old booties lol!

Are the force fins very road bust? The clips for the strapes look very delicate.

Thanks again everybody!

~Edit~

Ooo just seen these!!!#

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/floattubeforce.htm

Are the force fins very road bust? The clips for the strapes look very delicate.

I've done upwards of 2500 dives in mine :D

The fins themselves are virtually indestructable.

I strongly recommed getting the bungee style foot straps. They are very comfortable, instantly on or off...and nothing to go wrong with them. The straps have lasted perfectly on mine so far (and that's a lot of time in the water). but if the elastic did perish, then it quick and cheap to swap in some new elastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom