Full Face Mask revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read most of the posts bout ff masks n I agree with the comments of getting something to suit your needs.

I'm thinking of getting one simply for the benefit of breathing from the nose. I often have severe dry mouth n was hoping that a ff might make it easier not to mention for fun if I can actually talk to my partner.

I would prefer a system where I can use my existing Apeks 2nd stages.

For affordable ff masks these are what I have narrowed to:

1. OTS mantis
2. Scubapro full face mask (fit and regulators are a concern)

The expensive options:

1. OTS Guardian. (Use of other regs are a concern)
2. Dräger Panorama Nova (don't know much about this mask)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

SangP

I only have experience with AGA and I had absolutely no complaints. If I were to buy a FFM it would be AGA. Although I think diving in warm water with a FFM would suck, I actually enjoy warm water on my face when I get the chance. (and I DON'T want to be able to talk to my buddy)

Im not sure the either the ScubaPro or Mantis have an oral/nasal cup that permits you to breathe through your nose. The Guardian (or AGA, about the same) will support nose breathing, as will the Ocean Reef Neptune II (which I do not care for). My vote would go to the Kirby Morgan EXO, which (last time I checked) was about the same price as the AGA.

exobr.jpg

Thanks guys,

The ScubaPro or Mantis don't have a nasal cup but cus I'm an Asian, my nose is smaller than most Westerners so it is possible to breath through the nose although not as well as I would like.

The thing about the Kirby Morgan EXO is that the vision is somewhat limited compared to the others but the fact it looks so well built that I'll do more research on it. Does it allow the use of a Apeks 2nd stage?

Of primary importance would be a reasonably affordable mask that allows me to breath through the nose an preferable something that I could use my existing regs too.

Many thanks,

SangP

Actually I found the vision the EXO to be as good as in the AGA. Sure, its likely possible to switch regulators ... but why?

It's just that I love my apeks and if I can reuse them it'll save on me getting more service kits for other regs. I've narrowed my regs to only apeks n it really helps my servicing technician too, avoiding the added cost of getting seldom used repair kits.

AGA are you referring to the Interspiro Divator II?

SangP

There are lots of things that go into matching a mask and regulator, I'd be inclined to stick with the one designed for it, I don't see that as a mix and match kind of thing.

Yes the AGA is the Divator is the Guardian, more or less.

Understood and agree bout "the designed for" part.

I haven't tried out the EXO but the aga has very good viewing angles. Being that this mask would be used for mostly rec/tec I would prefer one that has a good view all around.

Judging from the photo of the EXO it seems to have similar viewing angles as the supermask.

May I ask why do you prefer the Exo over the aga?

Thanks,

SangP

I have a scuba pro, and have used it with various regs, ( Scuba pro, Mares abyss, a couple of others....I actually sometimes set it uo with 2 regs, (Primary is abyss, secondary is aqualung) nose breathing ? no problem. I did not know it was an issue. I guess I will have to look at the other threads to see what the issues are.

Cool, I'm actually leaning towards the mantis till I get more info about the EXO/Guardian or Drager.

Not being familiar with ff masks, I'm thinking of getting something basic and affordable first. I'm a bit concerned about CO2 build up for such masks like the scubapro/mantis which doesn't have a nasal cavity.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom