Fins for SCUBA? What is the best these days??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi;

Currently I'm using Mares Advanti fins. They are very good and I'm happy with them. However, I travel frequently and these fins are heavy suckers....

Can anyone recommend a pair of open heal (using dive boots) fins that are as good as the advanti fins but lighter in weight??

I have read that SCUBAPRO make a very good pair of fins that are light and just as powerful as advanti fins, but I have forgotten the name.

Thank you. SAFE diving, Iain

Last edited:
I have not tried these yet but we have a quickly growing local following for the APS Manta Ray fins. They are very light. and said to dive well

Pete

I have Mares Avanti and bought them specifically for travel fins because they are LIGHTER considerably than my favorite fin the Jet Fin. I doubt you find fins much lighter than the thermoplastic Avanti that are still sufficiently powerful and can perform all styles of kicks. The Mares company makes several full foot fins similar to the Quatrro and Avanti, look them up on Leisure Pro. N

The Mares Volo's are light and well-regarded, but they have much more flexibility than the avanti's...so if you are a really strong swimmer you might find them over-flexing.

I have Mares Avanti and bought them specifically for travel fins because they are LIGHTER considerably than my favorite fin the Jet Fin. I doubt you find fins much lighter than the thermoplastic Avanti that are still sufficiently powerful and can perform all styles of kicks. The Mares company makes several full foot fins similar to the Quatrro and Avanti, look them up on Leisure Pro. N

+1 on what Nermrod said.
My Slipstream are heavier than the Avanti Quattro.

The Mares Volo's are light and well-regarded, but they have much more flexibility than the avanti's...so if you are a really strong swimmer you might find them over-flexing.

Volo are lighter than the Quattro. They work well for flutter and modified frog kicks. However, back kicks and helicopter kicks suck big time. I would take a pair of Quattro any day of the week.

There are no fins that are too heavy for traveling. One type may be heavier than another, but none of them are heavy. The bottom line is if you have a great pair of fins use them. Nothing contributes more to dive enjoyment than fin selection. I'd rather lighten my other luggage than not travel with my fins.

Hi;

Currently I'm using Mares Advanti fins. They are very good and I'm happy with them. However, I travel frequently and these fins are heavy suckers....

Can anyone recommend a pair of open heal (using dive boots) fins that are as good as the advanti fins but lighter in weight??

I have read that SCUBAPRO make a very good pair of fins that are light and just as powerful as advanti fins, but I have forgotten the name.

Thank you. SAFE diving, Iain

Hi Ian,

If you have a good pair of fins that you are happy with, you really don't want to part with them just to be a few hundred grams lighter. I'm assuming you're referring to travel and issues of luggage weights?

Fin efficiency depends on many things - design, use, technique etc. And it's personal. One person's "good" fin may be another person's rubbish.

Really, the only way to discover a "good" fin is to try it out. Don't buy the hype!

Happy diving

My first fins were the Avantis. Good fins but big and heavy. Switched to Atomic splits. Again, nice fins, but still big. Then I tried Force Fin Pros. Wow, what a difference, small, light, powerful, maneuverable. Highly recommend that you at least try them before you buy anything else

Back
Top Bottom