Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Volume or Low Volume???

Registered

Has not set a "status"

High Volume or Low Volume???

I am new to this and will be getting certified in about a month or so. Is there really a big difference on getting a mask with high or low volume? If the masks fits well enough, it shouldn't leak that much right. Some one told me that it would be harder to clear a mask with high volume, is this true???

Registered

Has not set a "status"

low-volume

Low volume masks are supposed to be easier to clear, as well as weigh less and be more streamlined. But, they often (though not always) are made with either two separate window panes, or have a plastic piece that comes down right between your eyes that divides the glass in two.

Those type masks always annoyed me and made me feel cross-eyed. I like having a large volume mask with one big wide picture-window plate of glass in front of me. These masks take a little more air to clear when flooded (a half a pint at most), but that is more of a concern if the mask is used for skin diving. If you are wearing a scuba tank, that little extra bit of air is insignificant.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Only dive with the newest and latest equipment.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Fit is #1,

Far and away fit is the most important feature of a mask.
    In fact the three most important things about a mask are;
    1. Fit
    2. Fit
    3. Fit

I dove many years with a US Divers tri-window mask and now I use a CressiSub Big Eyes. I like the lower volume masks as they
    are less likely to get bumped but fit is still king.

BTW take your snorkle and test the fit with it in your mouth.
    Having a regulator or snorkle in changes the shape of your face and may change your best choice of mask.
    Retarded (retired) commercial diver.
    Now just working to survive a dance with Lymphoma.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

snorkel

That is a good point about the snorkel. I probably would have never thought about it. I plan to buy the Ocean Master Dry Snorkel. I have heard it is pretty good and isn't too expensive.....

Thanks everyone for the info.

Tim

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

low volume all the way

As far as I can tell, low volume masks are superior to high volume masks in all respects. They are easier to clear and equalize, more streamlined, less buoyant, and provide a better field of vision. As far as single lens masks are concerned, some of the lowest volume masks around are single lens frameless designs.

-Klaus

DSJ
    Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Almost true...

klausbh once bubbled...
    As far as I can tell, low volume masks are superior to high volume masks in all respects. They are easier to clear and equalize, more streamlined, less buoyant, and provide a better field of vision. As far as single lens masks are concerned, some of the lowest volume masks around are single lens frameless designs.

-Klaus
    The best field of view I've found by far is the Hydroptix MegaMax, and it's also the highest volume.

Just like the tip to check fit with a snorkle in your mouth, check the true field of view under water. Placing the glass closer to your eyes works to increase the field of view above water, but refraction underwater changes that.

Disclaimer: I don't get anything from promoting the mask, I'm just a satisfied owner.

David

Scuba Instructor

alive???

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

Low volume=Beter vision

Low volume masks give better peripheral vision and are easier to clear. Some of the newer concepts in masks are moving back to higher volume to give curved lens etc. I suggest first fit is most important and visibility is second most important. Try a low volume clear silicon mask that fits you very well and you will be on your way.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hydroptix MegaMax?

DSJ once bubbled...
    The best field of view I've found by far is the Hydroptix MegaMax, and it's also the highest volume.

David,
    What the heck is a "Hydroptix MegaMax"? Is that for real? I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Please tell me more about it. Post a link or a picture if you can.

"Step back! Give me room for my MegaMax!"

DSJ
    Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Mega...

ew1usnr once bubbled...

David,
    What the heck is a "Hydroptix MegaMax"? Is that for real? I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Please tell me more about it. Post a link or a picture if you can.

"Step back! Give me room for my MegaMax!"
    Lol, the URL is http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.htm

I've got one and it's not hype. The company does a good job of explaining the physics of it, and I've had nothing but great service from them.

I know all the arguments for low/high volume, but what I dive for is to see stuff, and this mask lets me see more of it. So for the small additional expense of the mask system I'm maximizing my diving dollar. Granted you can't stuff it in your fin pocket, but it comes in a nice hard shell case so you don't have to.

David

Registered

Has not set a "status"

MegaMax

DSJ once bubbled...
    I know all the arguments for low/high volume, but what I dive for is to see stuff, and this mask lets me see more of it.

Massively cool! That thing must be a trip to dive with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast