Slap strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g550driver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought an Atomic Frameless Mask and was considering purchasing a slap strap... I was wondering if those have a provision for attaching the snorkel to it? If not, can you attach the neoprene snorkel keeper to the slap strap? Or do you have any other recommendations? I would like to mount the snorkel as I am a new certified diver and feel more comfortable keeping it there as my BC does not have pockets large enough to store it..

Thanks,

Raj, I have a Slap Strap on an Oceanic Shadow mask but haven't dove it yet. Looking at my setup there is 3" of 1/2" strap (on each side) to which the snorkel keeper can attach. How much room you will have depends on your head/hood size. The padded part of the Slap Strap, where the snorkel keeper couldn't attach, is 11" long. So subtract that 11" from your desired strap length to see if you have enough room. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more measurements or anything.

Just bought an Atomic Frameless Mask and was considering purchasing a slap strap... I was wondering if those have a provision for attaching the snorkel to it? If not, can you attach the neoprene snorkel keeper to the slap strap? Or do you have any other recommendations? I would like to mount the snorkel as I am a new certified diver and feel more comfortable keeping it there as my BC does not have pockets large enough to store it..

Thanks,

I own the same mask and use a slap-strap from DiveGearExpress $9.95 for plain black or $21.95 embroidered with up to 10 characters in several colours. I have no problem when snorkeling attaching said snorkel. I have an Atomic SV1 snorkel but using a standard rubber snorkel keeper would also work.

Last edited:
You might consider the neoprene mask strap pad instead of the slap strap for diving. I bought the slap strap and found it does not compensate for changes in depth as the rubber mask strap does. As a result I had fits keeping my mask from leaking. Put the rubber strap back on and no leaks.

The neoprene mask pad that slips over the conventional rubber mask strap makes it easier to put your mask on over hair and it stays in place better. You might consider the neoprene version instead.

You might consider the neoprene mask strap pad instead of the slap strap for diving. I bought the slap strap and found it does not compensate for changes in depth as the rubber mask strap does. As a result I had fits keeping my mask from leaking. Put the rubber strap back on and no leaks.

There was a caution in the Slap Strap instructions about keeping the strap ends shorter than 1" (2"?) where they velcro onto the padding. If the ends were too long it prevented the Slap Strap from being able to stretch enough. Could that be the problem you were experiencing?

The neoprene mask pad that slips over the conventional rubber mask strap makes it easier to put your mask on over hair and it stays in place better. You might consider the neoprene version instead.

Shouldn't really be an issue, the strap is there to merely hold the mask in place, it's the suction that keeps it on your face. To my knowledge a rubber/silicone strap will not compensate for depth. If the mask is too tight it will leak.

I think there may be some confusion over terminology, the "slap strap" i use is neoprene, it does not fit over the rubber/silicone strap it replaces it.

You may all be correct if we are talking about different products. I can only tell you the "Slap Strap" I purchased from Dive Gear Express did not work for me and for whatever reason, the mask did leak when I used it.

The "Slap Strap" I purchased has Velcro fasteners that attach it to the mask instead of the rubber strap masks usually sell with. If you pull the Velcroro straps in too much as Buddhasummer said, the mask will leak - and it really doesn't feel that good on your face after about an hour. I just didn't like the fit.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread g550driver but I guess we should have asked you why you wanted to change the mask strap to begin with. If it is for ease of mask donning, I still think the neoprene mask strap pad or whatever you call the thing is the way to go. I see a lot of divers using it and it has served me well for many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom