Ideas on top paddle fin for not-so-good ankles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu66

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am buying a new set of fins and need fins that aren't going to be hard on my ankles (27 years of soccer has taken a toll on them). I dive in most conditions, though not tec. High percentage of dives in fresh water with medium to high current, though not blasting. I am looking for maneuverability and the ability to accelerate if needed without the debilitating pain that comes with it. Does anyone have any ideas? I have emailed Mares and Scubapro, asking this same question and never received a reply (now months later). Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Currently considering SP Seawing Nova...)

Thanks,
Stu

The Novas are nice, but they have positive buoyancy. I wear size 12EEEE Nikes. I think my Novas are XL. They do not feel as well as a neutral or negative buoyant fin for surface swims. The wide tips sometimes hit each other when I kick. They are very comfortable. Strengthening the muscles around the ankle will help.

Ever consider FF? Need a mortgage though....

Stu66, We would have had you in the water, happy swimming away by now, we missed your call for help. Thanks to Scubaboard we can direct you to the best Force Fin model, which would be in my option for you, would be the original Force Fin model. Let's try this first and with our 30 day money back guarantee what can go wrong?. And if you're in the Service their is a nice discount, nice avatar. Any flat fin that hang's of your foot is straining your ankle, and makes no sense to me. You will know the true cost of freedom after changing into one of my open toes fin designs. Call us for service and enjoy the story on .ForceFin2020's Channel - YouTube

My recomondation for bad ankles would definitly be the scubapro twin jets. They are split and ont a paddle but are very light on the foot and little work on the legs. we have had people with knee replacements and back surgery tow people with these fins. If you are stuck on paddle the seawing novas are great ( I dive them) just wouldnt recomend snorkeling with them if you have weak ankles.

You're looking for a very flexible fin if you have weak ankles. These include SP Sea Wing Novas, Mares Volos, Split fins, and Force Fins.

The problem with flexible fins is you have a top speed that can often be beaten by a guy with strong legs and stiff paddle fins.
That's not to say they can hold that speed, but they will be able to overtake the suction of an incoming wave where as you will be more at it's mercy.
The acceleration for flexible fins can be very little to above descent, once again compared to stiff paddle fins w/ strong legs.

Force Fins are an exception in that you can get a ton of acceleration, however in order to keep speed and constant acceleration you have to constantly kick hard and fast. The good news is that kicking with the original and pro force fin models feels exactly like kicking with no fins.
The only downside to force fins is that they are terrible at performing specialty kicks (frog kick, back kick, helicopter turn). You can do specialty kicks with ease in force fins, unlike split fins, however you don't really make any real effective movement since they rely on powerful recoil to generate thrust (something that doesn't happen during slow and deliberate specialty kicks).

See my fin review:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fin-review-2-0-split-fins-vs-all-others.html
Take it with a grain of salt though, my opinions and explanations have changed a bit. But I still agree with what I wrote on the majority.

Some really great responses, thank you all. It sounds as if Force Fins have pretty much got a unanimous vote. I think they are definitely worth a try.

Bob, may I ask your reasoning behind recommending the original FF, as opposed to the Hockey or Excellerator? Oh, and I am no longer in the Air Force (miss it badly though).

I don't have pain in the ankles when diving lakes (low to no current), so I am wondering if I should have more than one set of fins (right fin for the right dive...)?? Perhaps a larger paddle fin with longer and slower finning for the low to no current, and the FF for when I am in the higher current dives?? I prefer the longer and slower fin movements over the short quick ones...

Some really great responses, thank you all. It sounds as if Force Fins have pretty much got a unanimous vote. I think they are definitely worth a try.

Bob, may I ask your reasoning behind recommending the original FF, as opposed to the Hockey or Excellerator? Oh, and I am no longer in the Air Force (miss it badly though).

I don't have pain in the ankles when diving lakes (low to no current), so I am wondering if I should have more than one set of fins (right fin for the right dive...)?? Perhaps a larger paddle fin with longer and slower finning for the low to no current, and the FF for when I am in the higher current dives?? I prefer the longer and slower fin movements over the short quick ones...

Originals are soft and will not torque your ankles as badly while still easily providing all the thrust you need to go anywhere you want, the Hockey and the Excellerator (related fins) are fantastic fins, but are more than you need and will put more load on your ankles. Plus they are much more affordable. The speed and power of the fin is significant and you don't need more fin than this.

Fighting into a current is a joke, I am a very strong swimmer and can achieve high speeds, but no-one (and I mean no-one) can make headway into a 3 knot current wearing full dive gear for very long, you will lose this battle. The goal is to have control, be comfortable while what you need to do, while being efficient with your air consumption which is where ForceFins excel.

The major advantage is the Hockey and Excellerator have more thrust on the back kick which allows better maneuverability and makes a frog kick perform better. Of course they CAN be faster, but you have to work quite a bit harder to get the speed.

Back
Top Bottom