Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Mask for my big old round face

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

Mask for my big old round face

This question may have been asked, but I'll ask it again. I am looking for a mask that fits my face well. I have a bigger, rounder face than most I guess. Bought the Cressi Evo mask after testing it out of the water at the dive shop.... In the pool and on my first check out dive I noticed the nose cup leaked very easily, and I was clearing my mask much more than my partner. At first, being a student, I thought that it was just a normal part of Scuba, but after my instructor loaned me a bigger mask with a larger seal on the nose area, It didn't leak AT ALL. Other than the mask that I was loaned (Oceanways black skirt single panel), does anyone have any suggestions on masks that fit similarly? Looking for larger skirts on bottom of mask so that nose cup wont leak freely.

I have been looking at the Sub Gear Action, Bare Sports Frameless, and Bare Quad-C.... Anyone use these masks or have any other options I should try? Being new to diving I have no preference yet to black or clear skirts. I will eventually try them both and figure out what I like down the road at some point. Now, I just want a dependable, leak free, or minimal leaking mask.

j2s
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Try Sherwood's 'Oracle' and if you can find one [I don't think they make them any more] Sherwood's Titan....They're the biggest masks I know of ....The Titan is the bigger of the two.....If you find a dive shop that has a few xtra's let me know, it's my favorite mask......

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Try out a Tusa Visualator nice big mask and works well for big faces.

I have one, I thought I had the fit figured with one at the LDS and ordered it online but it is not quite right and leaks, I have since switched to a Tusa Visio Pro. Nice mask though.

Divemaster
    Badge

You did what with whom ?

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Both the Look2 and Technika from Aqualung fit most faces. I liked the fit of the technika most of all, but ended up buying a Look2 for the RX Lenses it offers.

Registered

www.thescubaprostore.com

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    The subgear action is still a smaller mask. The subgear vibe is a little larger as well as their Sub Vu mask. You might also like to try the scubapro SOLO, Spectra or frameless

Want to get a great price with great service visit www.thescubaprostore.com.
    SCUBAPRO
    SUBGEAR
    ZEAGLE
    HENDERSON
    And MORE!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    I've got a fairly large face as well. Curiously enough Technisub Micromask fits me well, so it's not the size of the mask but the fit.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Not sure if you've purchased a mask yet. BUT..... if your instructors loaner fit perfect no leaks.... why not look at buying one? IMHO get one that fits good and is comfy. I bought a "cheaper" version of a mask that fit online, and it sucked big time in my cert dives. very uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose. I have a cromagnum forehead lol sticks out quite nicely. I returned and bought an oceanic frameless from local dive shop. Fits great with no pressure on the bridge of my nose. Leaked a little on last dive, but forgot to shave for 3 days while on vacation. Frameless are very comfy and very forgiving. Good luck.

Registered

Currently on extended surface
    interval.

Dives
    200 - 499
    I share your problem and suggest the Sherwood Oracle( it is still availabe on the internet). It is made of Crystal Silicone which is more comfortable and softer, which may lead to a better seal. What I do know is I don't need to purge near as often and my nose isn't rubbed raw after extended dives. I also dive with the Tusa Visulator but if doing more than two or three dives a day isn't as comfortable as the Sherwood. I wished that Tusa would go to the Crystal Silicone for their mask.

Registered

Four more years without a
    president.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    I also have a wide face that is hard to fit. Other than my classic oval masks (like the one in my avatar) I like the Vue Mask rom Deep Blue Gear. The wide skirt is made of soft silicone and seals well.

Snorkel-Mart | Snorkel Gear | Snorkeling Equipment | Snorkeling Combos |

NAVED #142

Montani Semper Liberi