Hollis Tec Pak good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyscer

New
Reaction score
I have been reading threads about different masks, which is seems like the consensus is get one that fits; I have decided to go with the hollis m1 and found it in a combo over at scuba toys:
Hollis Tec Pak discounts on sale ScubaToys
Is that a good deal for the gear that you get? The only thing I'm not sure about are the fins. Are there other fins that I should get? I am just going through the open water cert right now and just plan on doing simple diving (I do have a trip planned to cozmel) in Feb but that is about it for now. Any help/suggestions are recommended.

If it all fits it is a good deal. If it doesn't then it would be junk. Have you actually tried that mask and determined that it fits your face? If not you might want to hold off buying anything just yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I tried on a Hollis at my LDS and it had a good fit and seal with the sniff test.

But that mask in the Scubatoys deal is not a Hollis mask. It's a HOG predator and as a HOG dealer I can tell you that mask is made for wider faces. I mean wide faces. One of my customers that has one decribes himself as having a head like a boar. Also the dry snorkel is a waste of money. Get a simple j tube or roll up. I could not check out the deal earlier on my phone. The fins are a great deal and are the ones I use myself. I have two pairs of them.

Depending on the exposure protection you're using, you might want a lighter fin than the F1. They're lighter than Jets, but heavier than my OMS Slipstreams, which I like for wetsuit diving.

Jim, Thanks for pointing that out! I was searching through their site for the Hollis M1 and ended up there so my untrained eye (and lack of reading the full description) lead me to believe it was the M1.

If you have an average size face call them and ask if they will sub the Edge Stealth mask. It fits a wider variety of average faces. Similar single window, frameless, low profile design. And Ron is correct. The Hollis fins are designed to be neutral in salt water and they end up being about a lb negative in fresh. I checked when I first got my prototype pair to test. And the yellow tips are the just about the same.

I went ahead with the deal because it was the same price as just the fins, and the mesh bag is useful, too. I figure I'll trade the mask or sell it to my buddy. I didn't already own a snorkel, so anything vs nothing works for me.

I like the mask, but there's one place where the skirt folds up just enough not to fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom