My experience: Aeris Velocity 3x VS Aeris Accel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Disclaimer: I’ve been using Aeris Velocity 3X fins for a long time for both diving and snorkeling. I love them, so I might be a wee bit biased. I tested by switching back and forth between Velocity 3X and Accel fins multiple times. That makes this “my experience” rather than a review.

Sizing: My shoe size is USA 11½ so I first tried the XL/XXL Accel. I ordered this size because my Velocity regulars were difficult to remove when wet. The foot pocket of the XL/XXL fit my 5mm boot snugly and there was no wobble in the fin. However there was a large gap between the side of the boot and the mouth of the foot opening. Wrong size. I exchanged the XL/XXL’s for a pair of regulars and the gap disappeared. So for my 11½ foot with 5mm boots, regular is the correct size.

Performance: At faster speeds the Accel is the equal of the Velocity and may even be a bit better. You can push both Velocity and Accel to drive you very fast. I was completely surprised by the Accel while I was snorkeling after the test. On a dive from surface I hit 20’ way faster than I am used to. I’m not absolutely certain that at the very slowest finning speeds both fins perform equally. But the only way I could be sure is to put a Velocity on one foot and an Accel on the other and see which way I turn (if I do). The point is, if they are that close, does it matter? I’d say no. Another factor is my finning style. I noticed when going slow, if I changed the way I flutter kicked, the Accel improved, so any difference (if it actually exists) might be a result of the way I fin and disappear as I use the fins more.

Extra plus points: The Accel is short enough to fit easily in carry-on. The much longer Velocity must travel in checked baggage. The Accel’s are three pounds lighter than the Velocity. Because of the material they are made of, the Accel’s are very easy to remove while I find the Velocity’softer (stickier) material makes removal difficult. Because the Accel’s are lighter there is less inertia to deal with at the end of each stroke so they take less effort than the Velocity. This also makes acceleration quicker with the Accel. The Accel has close to neutral bouyancy, the Velocity is definitely negative. When I hover, the Velocities drag my feet down. With the Accel I stay horizontal. All of these factors are big things to me.

Minor minus (?) point: While the Accel straps are very stretchy I switched them for the spring straps I had on my Velocity fins. I’m old and my flexibility isn’t that great. The spring straps have a loop that I can hook my finger in. The Accel straps have a tab that you need to grab. The stock straps are easy, but the springs are a wee bit easier. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker but I already had the springs. The stock straps will travel in my save-a-dive bag. Actually I’m not sure this is a minus. The ease with which you can switch back and forth is certainly a plus.

Bottom Line: I’m very glad I bought them. They have decided advantages over the Velocity with no performance penalty and they cost about $30 less. Way to go Aeris!

Excellent review, thank you. I'm a happy owner of these fins as well. I think Aeris nailed it with these fins. Could you elaborate on how you changed your flutter kick to get better performance?
Much appreciated
Jon

Yes, agree nice review, thank you for taking the time to write it up. Always looking or the "perfect"travel fin, given the price and your review I'm willing to give them a go. Cheers.

Could you elaborate on how you changed your flutter kick to get better performance?

To be honest I just fooled around with more/less knee bend, emphasis on the down or up stroke, things like that. I didn't really pay that much attention. I noticed that some things I tried might have worked a bit better but my concentration was on general performance, which was very good. I take a kind of Darwinistic approach to finning technique. The more I use the fins, the more I will naturally (subconciously) drop things that don't work well and keep the things that work better. That way, as long as my finning performance is acceptable, it's not work.

Sorry I can't be more help right now. I will be diving Saratoga Lake tomorrow and Lake George September 5-9. I will see if I can determine a best slow flutter. If I come to a definite conclusion I will post it.

I know what you mean, I'm pretty much the same way. Its hard to describe what you did when your not thinking about it. But any insight would be appreciated. I've only used them for a few dives, but it seems to me they kick like a bigger fin rather than the rapid flutter kick of other small fins.

... it seems to me they kick like a bigger fin rather than the rapid flutter kick of other small fins.

I agree. They do push you through the water like much bigger fins. I might be able to add to what I found yesterday during my Roger's Rock diving but for now -

During OW I was continually castigated for having my legs bent. I was told over and over to keep my knees straight and move my leg as a unit from the hip. NOTE: No one ever explained why. With the Accel, while finning slowly, I think that some bend in the knee helps and seems to generate more push on the downstroke (fin moving toward bottom) than trying to keep my leg perfectly straight. I have to say that the more I use the Accel's, either diving or snorkeling, the more I'm falling in love with them. Anyone know someone who wants to buy a used pair of Velocity 3X?

Thats good to know. I will try that out next time I dive. Yes I was taught to kick from the hips as well. I think the idea is to use larger muscle group. I like everything about these fins so far, I just have to put them through the test some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom