Oceanic Ion 4 lens removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexdz

New
Reaction score
I have an Oceanic Ion 4 mask that I received with gauge reader style lenses. What I needed was corrective lenses for distance vision (hyperopic) but Oceanic's marketing material was not at all clear that these were just gauge readers. Anyway I've decided to send the mask elsewhere to have custom ground lenses installed so I need to put the stock lenses back in.

I can't quite figure out how to remove the retainer frame to get the lenses out. Apparently there aren't any instructions out there since I asked tech support and they just sent me a video produced by someone else removing it on a different mask, although it looks like it could be another Ion model. Regardless, the procedure shown, starting by releasing the tab nearest the nose doesn't seem to work. This mask has thumb tabs on the top edge that look like they should be part of the removal procedure, but that hasn't worked for me either. Without instructions I'm reluctant to try to force it because I'm afraid I'll break it.

Has anyone out there dealt with this and can give me a clue? THANKS!

I have an Oceanic Ion 4 mask that I received with gauge reader style lenses. What I needed was corrective lenses for distance vision (hyperopic) but Oceanic's marketing material was not at all clear that these were just gauge readers. Anyway I've decided to send the mask elsewhere to have custom ground lenses installed so I need to put the stock lenses back in.

I can't quite figure out how to remove the retainer frame to get the lenses out. Apparently there aren't any instructions out there since I asked tech support and they just sent me a video produced by someone else removing it on a different mask, although it looks like it could be another Ion model. Regardless, the procedure shown, starting by releasing the tab nearest the nose doesn't seem to work. This mask has thumb tabs on the top edge that look like they should be part of the removal procedure, but that hasn't worked for me either. Without instructions I'm reluctant to try to force it because I'm afraid I'll break it.

Has anyone out there dealt with this and can give me a clue? THANKS!

Hi, having the same problem if anyone can help?

OK I have done it. Advice I can offer is
1) watch all the youtube videos (for other masks)
2) if you are short on fingernails like me a mobile phome opening tool will probably help.
3) on the ion mask, pull the tab in the top corner and then work round to the nearest prising slot moving away from the nose. Then continue around the bottom of the mask. It will pop out at this point.
4)the X over the nose gets in the way a bit so I took it out as well.
5)the lenses on mine where partly bonded to the silicone skirt next to the nose. I pushed the lenses off the silicone with a screwdriver. I hope the slight roughness cause by this won't give a leak.
6)next time I'll pay a shop to do it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom