Another Hollis F1 fit thread...sorry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I know I know, Hollis F1 fit is well discussed. BUT, after searching and reading I still have a couple questions about fit. Following issues with my DR fins, I bought the Hollis F1s. I love the power and they do not hurt my feet like the Drs, but I'm concerned they aren't fitting right. I'm hoping that with the pictures below this will be a quick and easy question for those with more experience with this fin. Ideally, I'm hoping to see a comment like "those are fine, you just need to buy some of these _____boots" or, "no way, definitely too big, go with the smaller fins." Thanks very much for the time and tips!

Problem: I think my fins might be too big, but if I ask LP to return them and I'm wrong, then i have to return the new ones and wait for the originals to to be sent back to me. No LDS carry this fin, so i can't try them on.

Shoe size: Men's US 10.5-11 in most shoes (Hollis F1 XL is *supposed* to fit size 10-12).

Fins:
XL Hollis F1

Boots:
tried Aeris Manta 5mm boots in the water, and converse chucks (sz 9US - chucks always run big) out of the water.

Symptoms:
1) toe doesn't go very far in *pic 1 below*, 2) toes have A LOT of space and go "clunk" on top and bottom of pocket when kicking (still had lots of space in chucks too), 3) top of pocket really seems to be high on my foot, as if it was swallowing my foot up *pic 2 below.*

pic 1: toe tip at red lines:
ca3b9d20-89c0-4b1e-9873-3038f6d67e25.jpg

pic 2: top of pocket rubs crux between foot and leg:
77944CB6-8295-4AD6-BC70-5CD2B12FF59E.jpg

They look about right for you. Do you have any movement within the foot pocket when moving them sideways? If you don't feel enough support from the fin pocket, you might need to go to a larger fin. This will allow a deeper insertion into the foot pocket (assuming the pocket is deeper in the larger fin). The larger fin may also be too wide so choose carefully.

Looking at how much of your foot goes into the pocket, I would be hesitant to step down in size. Remember that the shape of the foot pocket is as important as the size. If the shape doesn't agree with your foot, size won't matter much.

They look about right for you. Do you have any movement within the foot pocket when moving them sideways? If you don't feel enough support from the fin pocket, you might need to go to a larger fin. This will allow a deeper insertion into the foot pocket (assuming the pocket is deeper in the larger fin). The larger fin may also be too wide so choose carefully.

Looking at how much of your foot goes into the pocket, I would be hesitant to step down in size. Remember that the shape of the foot pocket is as important as the size. If the shape doesn't agree with your foot, size won't matter much.

Thanks. I can't imagine going bigger, there is a lot of room ahead of my toes in the pocket...it doesn't even begin to narrow until after my toes. Laterally the pocket feels fine, perhaps in part because I have tall feet, high arches, so that may sort of pull the sides in.

how would you think I should go about securing my toes in there so there's less clunk when i flutter?

I had a miserable experience fitting F1's with Warmers boots (wet, they were great with my DS and Rock Boots). Thankfully DGExpress was more than patient with me for returning, sending a new size, returning, and re-sending the originals. Those seem to be okay. You could try the forward mounts. These fins are really nice! Powerful! Yet, precise. I use F-1's, Turtles, and DR XT (formerly EXP), and recently some "old" Force Fins. There are some awesome fins out there, and these are near the pinnacle.

That’s how mine fit. I use either rock boots on my USIA dry suit in them or these boots (SEASOFT Stealth 6 mm Boot at LeisurePro) with similar shoe and fin sizes and I find them to fit quite well.

As long as they don't cause pain and you have no lateral movement you're likely fine with the size you have. It's hard to tell from photos but they look ok. As I've miserably discovered the only way to tell for sure about fit is to dive them. I love the Hollis fins but had to sell both, at a not so nice loss, as the even the smallest F1s and F2s do not fit me properly. Good luck.

I'm the same shoe size as you and with a high arch. I've tried F1's in L, XL, and XXL. XL is the best size for 5mm-7mm booties by themselves or over a drysuit sock. I find the XL to be slightly tight in width with a stiff sole bootie but XXL is just too loose. None of the sizes will be a perfect fit to your very individual foot, so you have to compromise a little.

I recommend ordering several sizes of fins if you are unsure of what you need, and just return the ones that don't fit. Costs a little bit more in postage but leaves you confident that you have the optimum size.

thanks all for the comments. I feel better about my fins. I won't return them, but look for some thicker-soled boots tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 06:25 PM ----------

update: went to the LDS, tried hard-sole boots. Still too big. The owner thought so too. So, sending them back for the "regular" and will hope those fit better.

update: new "large" (medium) fins fit better. No "tok-tok" feeling when I flutter. They hurt my feet too, but nothing like the DR fins did. I guess I still have some things to figure out about my technique.

I'm a size 9-10 US. My Hollis fins are an XL and fit me perfect. I have the Bare SB Drysuit boots, not the tech boot. If my foot were any bigger I'd be moving a size up for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom