Frameless masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCTAC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am looking to go low volume, frameless and single lens. Any recommendations from anyone? I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck"! LOL! My personal feelings are that the Atomic masks are too overpriced, maybe not. Just my opinion. P.S., Right now I am using the Genesis Tri-view in all black and clear.

Any particular reason for the frameless and/or single lenses? We agree that some brands are way out there on price. But fortunately here in the USA we have many brands to choose from.

Ultimately it depends what fits you.

I dive with a single lens mask, its Scubapro and about 12 years old. I had a funny shaped nose so 2 lens masks hurt me. My mask has not bee used all that much due to a long lay-off from diving but its been resurrected and still doing fine.

Frameless, single lense... look into Dive Rite's ES145. I recently purchased one and I love it! Also, you can pick them up for $40-$50. I can't imagine a better mask at that price.

I have the Tusa Visualator (M-14). It's a good mask for larger faces. But I don't consider it frameless...

http://www.tusa.com/productimages/M-14.jpg

I also have a Sherwood - it folds down pretty flat to fit in a BC pocket. Maybe I paid $60 for it...

Any particular reason for the frameless and/or single lenses? We agree that some brands are way out there on price. But fortunately here in the USA we have many brands to choose from.

Must be single lens as the center divide bothers me and because of limited/distorted vision of one eye due to a, now repaired, detached retina, I need the combined/stereoscopic view of both eyes. Low volume is for basically, that same reason, closer to face, and frameless is the smallest, I think I can go for packing, carry as spare, and fit. This is just my opinion. Also, thanks to all for your responses!

Has anyone used the Oceanic Shadow or Mako??

I would pay twice the current price for the Atomic Frameless.

N

As would I.

I've spent a lot of money over the years on various masks and without exception they all seemed to fit well in the shop but leaked horribly in the water. The Atomic Frameless is the only mask that fits me properly. It almost never leaks. I was scared they'd stop making it so bought another. I note they are making another Frameless but only in standard fitting, it worries me that they'll stop making version one so I think I'll buy a second spare.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 10:24 PM ----------

For me, nothing ruins a dive like a leaking mask or being cold. I'll throw a lot of money to fix both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom